Small thread in lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jfert92, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Jfert92

Jfert92 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just bought a used hasselblad 60mm cf distagon lens that has been CLA'd sometime in January this year. I found that there was very fine small thread about 5mm long as it looks through the lens. It seems to be behind the rear element between the glass. Should I return it even though it was a great deal. 650 dollars mint condition (besides the thread). or will this have no effect on the image?

2. Morry Katz

Morry Katz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now you know why it was such a great deal. Do yourself a favour and return it. A thread inside the lens would bug me forever.

3. Jfert92

Jfert92 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sorry I meant to say it was only 1mm long.

4. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It probably will do not much harm (if any), but since you had it CLA'd, the cleaning bit of which wasn't done properly, go back and ask to have the thing cleaned out. You have paid for a clean(ed) lens, right?

5. Jfert92

Jfert92 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The seller I bought it from had it cleaned supposedly. Got it off eBay lol.

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure of all product descriptions on the item before you go pursuing any sort of action. Best to be certain than to have to be apologetic and torked over a misunderstanding.

7. Jfert92

Jfert92 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The description said dust, haze, and fungus free. And had been CLAd by hasselblad this month

8. st3ve

st3ve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably from a prior CLA or even during manufacturing? At 1mm it is *nothing* to be worried about, for me, even for a brand new retail lens. I'd be too busy shooting to care about it. Your level of quality may vary, but dust and other small specks have been known to get in all the time, even at manufacturing for the highest-price lenses.

9. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am picky about lens. I am really picky about lens. Unless the lens was a real bargain, I accept nothing less than perfection. Being fully aware some dust, cleaning marks, fuzz, etc makes no difference in the final image, these things still bother me.

Is the thread 1mm or 5mm? There's a big difference. It's really up to you though. There's no way something that small will make any difference in final image. Would it bother me? Oh, yeah.

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where the thing is also makes a difference. On the front lens, and you will not see any effect of it. On the rear, and it may well show up as a darker spot in the images the lens produces.
    So do test!