smaller sheet film cameras?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by PamelaHL, May 27, 2007.

1. PamelaHL

PamelaHL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if there are sheet film cameras using something smaller--that I could use handheld? With high-quality? And purchasable for a song?

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Smaller sheet film? Or do you mean smaller cameras?

The 4x5 press cameras were intended to be handheld.

They made smaller format sheet film cameras to. But these will harder to find film and holders for. Not impossible just harder.

I want to say some companies made sheet film backs for MF cameras but I can't remember exactly who at the moment.

Cost varies with all the choices. Collector items are expensive. Lesser brands can be very cheap.

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The camera I have that fits that description best, is my 6.5x9cm Voigtländer Bergheil with a 120mm f:4.5 Heliar lens.

They tend to cost a bit more than a song though...

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good memory, Nick... here's a bit more: Rollei made 2.35 x 3.25 inch sheet film back for their TLR. There were two versions - old and older :wink:

5. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Graphic camera's are small, cheaper and certainly usable handheld. Probably best used with the wire frame finder and set to hyperfocal distances. The GG is a little small for my old eye's, but usable. If your willing to carry more weight, the RB/RZ's can utilize cut film holders and have the nice back and right side up screen. 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film I believe is still available or you can cut your own or use a rollfilm back.

6. Ulrich Drolshagen

Ulrich Drolshagen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a sheetfilm back for the Rolleiflex SL66 in size 2x3 and of cause the Grafics already mentioned. I own a small Crown Grafic so I can tell you that the groundglass is as usable as the ones of af any MF reflex camera are. You need a loupe and a dark cloth to focus though.

Ulrich

7. Frank R

Frank R Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  8. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Along those lines, my smallest sheet film camera is a Zeiss Trona, 1927, with a 3x4 springback/GG slid in the film guides in the back. 135/4.5 Tessar, Compur shutter.

With the sudden loss (again) of access to 3x4 film though, it's not too practical to shoot a lot with it.

tim in san jose

9. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Even smaller are the 645 plate cameras - mine has a 7,5cm Isconar. :smile:

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember lusting after a Galvin 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 view camera during my youth.
    Of course, I probably was thinking about using a roll film back with it.

Does anyone here have experience with those?

Matt

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Mamiya made a sheet film back for their C-33. I had three of their holders but not the back.
    I go the other way and regularly use a Singer/Graflex rollfilm back on my 4x5 view. I'd love to find a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film view or Press camera.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And you have those Linhof Technikas in 6x9cm…
    Their most advanced (and most ugly) `70´ is a coupled rangefinder dropbed camera with telescopic bed extension, front rise/shift/base tilt and back swing/tilt.
    (Horseman was inspired by this range too.)

Not cheap though…

Smaller camera, larger format: those Polaroid coupled rangefinders, modified to take a 4x5 back. You could try mounting such a back yourself.

13. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I shoot 4x5" and even 5x7" handheld, but the Linhof Tech 23 cameras and the Tech 70 are very nicely designed for handheld shooting, providing the option of movements when used with a tripod.

Try to find one with three cammed lenses, so you can use them with the rangefinder. Earlier Tech III versions would be difficult to calibrate to new lenses. I asked Richard Ritter about it (he makes cams for 4x5" Tech III's), and he recommended just trying to find a kit with cammed lenses and using those lenses. Later Tech 70, Tech IV, and Tech V versions should still be cammable with new lenses by Marflex, but it can take a while. My Tech V 23b has been at Marflex for weeks awaiting a blank cam (on the Tech 23 the cam has three lobes for three lenses) from the factory.

It is still possible to order a new one, but Bob Salomon posted a while back on the LF forum that there were about 6 of the bodies left at that time (about a year ago, if I remember correctly), and that they weren't planning any more. Since the camera still is advertised, I'm guessing they must not sell more than one or two a year if that.

The Tech Press 6x9 camera currently in the APUG classifieds, by the way, is a very nice camera with rear tilt and swing, and it can use sheet film. Because it has helical focusing instead of a bellows like the other versions, it has no front movements, rise/fall, or shift, but the lenses designed for this camera don't have large image circles to support that kind of use anyway. You might think of it as being like a Mamiya 7 with rear movements, interchangeable backs, and the options of groundglass focusing and sheet film.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  16. PamelaHL

PamelaHL Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I might be in over my head...or about to make another learning leap. I'll start checking out some of these options. As always, I'm impressed by the breadth & depth of knowledge here.

Many thanks!

17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Bill Orford (Google him) can usually peen and recut cams for the same focal lengths. He's done it for me several times.

With 'baby' Linhofs, the Tech IV and later have a simple 1-lever removal of the backs; III and earlier have a poisonous, slow, fingernail-breaking 4-slider system.

Cheers,

Roger

18. Bob Eskridge

Bob Eskridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    9X12cm plate camera with sheetfilm adapters are very small and light.

I love my Voigtlander Avus 9X12cm plate camera for handheld work and traveling. It has a 90/6.3 Augulon adapted to it and a flash shoe to hold a viewfinder (modern Voigtlander finder for 28mm lenses on 35mm camera's.) I will even use the wire finder sometimes.

19. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot sheet film on my Mamiya RB67 using 2x3 Grafmatics. I like the system so much, it's all I use smaller than 8x10.
    juan

20. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inneresting idea. While i am not always fond of messin' with those little pieces of film, it would give better exposure control over 120.

Might be time to load up the Grafmatic.

tim in san jose

21. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course, it doesn't shoot the entire 6x9 image area, but it's longer than the 6x7 one gets with the 120 roll film back. Probably about 6x8 image area.
    juan

22. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is also true of the Linhof. The 56x72mm format has more image area than 6x9 sheet film and has the same proportions as 8x10" along with the convenience of rollfilm, and 3 backs will give you plenty of development control (bearing in mind that you have 10 exp/120 roll).

6x9 sheet is narrower and longer, and you get the advantages of sheet film, being quicker operation with groundglass focusing, individual development control, and more flexible neg filing. In theory there should be a film flatness advantage with sheet film but the film flatness of the Linhof backs is so good, I don't think this is a big issue.

23. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Mamiya I think made a 6x8 120 back for the RB. Not sure about the RZ. They even list the coverage of the various lenses. Or at least I remember they did.

OTOH I'm still not sure what the OP is looking for :confused: A smaller 4x5 camera? A camera using smaller sheet film?

If she wants a smaller camera not much point suggesting a big RB over a light weight 4x5 :D

24. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "6x9" sheet film is made to fit in 6.5x9cm plate holders, and the image area in a 6.5x9cm plate camera with film sheaths is 61x87mm. That's a lot more than 56x72!

25. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess I should qualify that. If you use Graphic, Lisco or Fidelity 6x9 sheet film holders the area is smaller (I don't have any handy at the moment, but I'll measure when I get home), but if you use a Linhof 6.5x9 sheet film holder (which uses a slightly larger sheet of film, but fits in the same back), I think it's larger, and then Ole's plate holders with film sheaths may be something else yet.

26. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, David, there's not quite a standard for nominal 6x9 roll holders (not relevant, but usually with smaller gates that sheet film holders) but the ones I've measured are on the order of 56-57 x 79-82 mm. In other words, larger than your 56x72.

Are you sure that you didn't mean to say that 6x7 is larger than 6x6?

Cheers,

Dan