smallest 35mm LTM lenses

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by puketronic, Feb 5, 2013.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK so is there a size difference between these lenses?

Leica 35mm f3.5 Summaron
    Canon 35mm f2.8
    Nikon 35mm f3.5/f2.5
    Cosina 355mm f2.5

I believe the Leica 35mm f3.5 Elmar is the smallest but the Summaron is technically better (although some may argue). I'm reading up on the optics and all that stuff but size-wise is any of these larger than the other? They look similar but I just wanted to check.

2. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. keyofnight

keyofnight Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So which is the smallest? I'd also like a good quality, fast, compact 35mm for street work.

5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest the Cosina Voitlander 35/2.5 Color Skopar. Excellent performer, good build quality and affordable.

6. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I have never tried one, the CV Color Skopar would almost certainly kick the others butts...wide angle lens design has vastly improved over the years. The CV 35mm Ultron is also small if you want something faster, can't get it new but there may be a few around second hand.
    I personally use the Cosina 35mm Nokton, and even that is pretty tiny for a 1.4.

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well there are two CV /2.5

a) the classic - small diameter focus ring, but focusing 'peg', monster hood optional , small hood in normal box kit, 39mm filter thread
    b) the panccake - larger diameter, only focus ring, no hood in basic kit , optional medium sized hood, 43mm filter thread

you can use generic Ch hoods as well

If you are going to use it for fast changing subjects you need the lens that fits your hands, & note not all the classics will have the peg some people discard them... there may be some NOS around if you search.

If you want a multi coated lens for less flare and higher contrast then these two are it, lots of others if you want single coated.

Noel

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  8. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only have the color skopar, but I can say that it as small as I could use and still be able to focus quickly and I have small hands. The only way to go smaller and maintain usability would be a collapsible

9. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have the 35mm/2.5 color skopar and the old chrome 35/2.8 Serenar (Canon). I think the skopar is a "better" lens most of the time, but the Serenar still works very well.

Even in the 50s a slow wide angle was not horribly difficult to design or build, at least with the back focus of a rangefinder body. It was considerably harder to make a 35mm lens faster, and especially if it needed room for a flipping mirror.

10. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've used all but the Canon 35/2.8. I had the Canon 35/2, which is a really nice lens, and quite small .. and expensive now, I think.
    I would say the Elmar 35 is probably the smallest: it's like a collapsed Elmar 50/3.5 - tiny! I've had a hard time finding one in good condition.

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35/3.5 Elmar tiniest for sure. I have a gorgeous uncoated one that is a surprisingly good performer.

Also consider a Kyoei W. Acall 35/3.5. Very nice compact one and also terrific performance.

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Jupiter-12 35/2.8 is pretty small too - much of it is inside the camera body when mounted. Very sharp, if you get a good sample.

13. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's the Acall lens I mention above but a rebranded version. Gives you an idea mounted on a LTM camera.
    [​IMG]