smc-M 40mm f2.8 Pentax

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I lucked into this lens today and I only paid $35.00 for it. Minty condition. It's begging for a lens hood.Can I use one of those off the shelf rubber no name jobs of do I need a special one to prevent vignetting?

Thanks in advance

2. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike: The filter size is 49mm. It wouldn't be "original equipment", but the metal clamp-on hood for the OM 50/1.8, 50/1.4 and 35/2.8 would work really well. You can get them on that auction site for $10 to $20, maybe less if you're lucky.

3. Magnus W

Magnus W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... or the round metal screw-on for pentax 50/2.0-1.7-1.4 ...

-- MW

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Isnt this lens a pancake lens?

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would think that if you are looking for one that isn't specifically designed for this lens, you will need one that is designed for a 35mm lens - a truly generic lens shade might be designed for 50mm, and might vignette a 40mm lens.

Matt

6. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why I recommended the Oly shade, part# 108-230. It is designed for two of the Oly 50s and the 35/2.8. The Zuiko 40/2 pancake was introduced later with a different hood, a screw-in (part number 108-240) as opposed to slip-on, but I'm fairly certain that 108-230 would work as well.

Since the Pentax 40 shares the same filter size, I feel fairly certain the shade I referenced would be a good choice. And it looks good. :wink:

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just use a 28mm screw in hood for the thing. It's a tad bit short but works OK.
    I don't think I have ever seen the PROPER hood for this lens even in the Pentax dealer catalog. Maybe I just never noticed it.
    You cannot use the clamp on Oly hood, There's not enough of the barrel protruding. If you use a filter you would be OK.

8. Earl Dunbar

Earl Dunbar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, John. I didn't know about the width of the barrel protrusion.

9. telkwa

telkwa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    this lens continuously sells for more than it is worth. the performance is fairly average for a pentax prime, but if you like 40mm focal length... you could sell it and buy a K35/3.5 and lens hood, and still have money left. (not that the 35/3.5 needs a lens hood that much)

10. Ed Matthew

Ed Matthew Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As others have said, you don't need a special hood. Any 49mm threaded hood such as the Olympus for 35mm or 28mm lens will work. I have too many metal semi-wide 49mm screw thread hoods. Contact me off list if you want one almost for free.

Ed
    Lmatthew@indy.rr.com

11. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I had an ME/Super (can't remember which) I used to use like the combination of that and the 40mm pancake as a "travelling light" combination. I also had the appropriate snub-nose case front.

I never had any complaints about the lens, not that I particularly had great expectations of it, but it did seem rather prone to dust getting between the elements and needed frequent dismantling.

Steve

12. telkwa

telkwa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess the size of it increases its worth. I don't mind lugging heavier lenses around and try to squeak every bit of enlargement out of my 35mm shots (so I prefer better optics).

Good point though.

13. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got one of these lenses and have made tack sharp 11x14's from color negs shot with it. Great little lens.

14. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quote=I've got one of these lenses and have made tack sharp 11x14's from color negs shot with it. Great little lens.

My LX with 40mm 'pancake' attached is more compact than many a so called compact-a really nice little lens and it's still working fine after being treated to some pretty foul conditions {sand, rain etc}.