Smith Victor Model 740

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mark, Aug 17, 2006.

1. mark

mark Member

I was given a smith victor model 740 and do not know anything about it except it is a hot light. Are these daylight bulbs or tungston? If not daylight are their daylight bulbs available?

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I think I have the same light, but it is at home so I'm not sure, but it is a tungsten halogen broad light, which would be tungsten. You can use a tungsten balanced film, or a filter over your lens, but I don't believe a daylight bulb is available. Gloves would be a good safety item.

Jon

3. mark

mark Member

No kidding on the gloves. I turned it on for like 30 seconds to see if it worked and that puppy was HOT.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If not gloves, oven mitts are a good idea - perhaps even better than gloves, since they have the flame retardant insulation built in. I forget which model the 750 is - I used to have a set of the quartz-halogen lamps that had built-in barndoors - the barndoors would get so hot so fast, once I forgot and nearly took the skin off my thumb. I like the regular Smith-Victors better for that reason- the ones that use normal screw-in type bulbs don't get AS hot AS fast, and they have nice little knobs on the back for aiming them. Great if you want to shoot infrared in the studio though :smile:

5. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H sells a dimmer switch for around $50 that might be handy for these halogen lamps; otherwise the bulbs burn out rapidly.