Smooth operator - Nikon FE2

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Wolfeye, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A while ago I was awarded a $100 bonus for my hard work, and as such, used it to buy a Nikon FE2. I simply love the camera - one of the nicest Nikons I own. A while ago on another forum site, a guy wrote that Minolta's XE-7 has the smoothest film advance ever made. After using the FE2 I'd be inclined to think the FE2 is right up there - or is my FE2 loosey goosey? It advances very nicely with little effort and the film has been spot-on evenly spaced between frames.

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the opportunity to use a Nikon FE once for a couple of weeks. I found it to be a really nice camera- even if the lens focuses backwards.
    So many great cameras from that era. Enjoy it!

3. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The XE-7 is very nice in terms of winding smoothness. I have to try again with my FE2, but I don't remember it being as smooth.

4. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The XE-7 I have has the smoothest film advance compared to all my others - Minolta or other brands. Have you compared it to an XE-7 or any other camera?
    For instance, according to MIR review of the F3 it states, "Through the use of eleven ball bearings in its shutter and film winding assemblies (most cameras use only one or two) the F3 represents a big advance in smooth and quiet operation. And to reduce film winding torque even more, Nikon created a completely new film winding mechanism and interconnecting gear trains for the most efficient transmission of energy." My F3 is smooth but near the end of the stroke, there is a "catch" that requires a little extra effort while the XE-7 is gliding smooth all the way through. To your point - as good a condition as my F3's are in, they are not in factory new so they may not be as smooth as they were originally.
    It's too bad they don't identify the amount of torque in the specifications as that would provide a good reference to judge the condition particularly of the older cameras.

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Les, yes, I do have an XE-5 which is nicely smooth, but tends to scratch negatives. I also have, as a matter of fact, an XE-7 on the way, to compare with.

6. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dunno about those but among my Pentaxes the MX wins, hands down, From the smooth wind to the near silent shutter and just-so feel in the hand I love that camera. My LX has more features and is a great camera but the MX beats it for sheer ergonomic joy of use.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Smooth describes the first Canon F-1
    You feel the nice build up of tension floating on those ball bearings

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in my house, the family nick named the Nikon FE as the 'jewel' for a reason. i is everyone's favorite.

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have three Canon New F1' s, but my Canon EF is smoother than any of them, I.M.O it's the smoothest Canon ever made.

11. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have to remember back to 1977 when I bought my XE-7 new......it advanced nice but after all the years it didn't seem to be better or worse when I sold it maybe 8 years ago than any of the other used Nikons I have. Sure it was nice when it was new, it was OK when I got rid of it, however, I think some of my older Nikons which have never had a CLA work smoother for their age vs. the Minolta. I would have to drag one of them out, but I am thinking one of the FE's or FA's I have still advance as smooth as a baby's butt......whatever that means.

Bob E.

12. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The original F1 is smoother than the new F1, IIRC
    The Nikon F3 and FG are smooth too, but it feels less tactile (you turn your thumb and feel no resistance)

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never owned an original F1,but doubt if your assertion is correct, have you actually ever owned an F1N ?.

14. GarageBoy

GarageBoy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have played with an F1n, but it was pretty beat up

On the other end of the spectrum, the Nikon F2... You feel every cog engage and the ratchet mechanism is LOUD

15. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F1n (lower case) is the updated version of the original F1 and mechanically virtually the same, the F1N (upper case) is a completely different camera with a hybrid electro/mechanical shutter and Silicon Photo Cell TTL metering http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/spec.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013