So, how's the new Fomapan 100 (clear base) ?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Helinophoto, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any shooters out there who have some experience with the new Fomapan 100 with clear base?

(Tried searching but I didn't find much on this).

What I am wondering about the most, is if the 120 version now has better quality control (less scratches and pinholes etc).

Anyone noticed any difference in that respect?
    Love the tonality, hated the lines, spekcs and weirdness.

2. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its perfect! I shot a few rolls 120 in the recent weeks.
    Got mine in Germany. exp 1/2014

3. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Developed 8 rolls this weekend. QC wise I think it is about the same as the blue base, maybe better. However, I've never had lines even with the blue base. I have had a few pinholes and a few areas where the emulsion looks thinner, small splotches but those are very rare, 1 out of 80 shots. I certainly like clear base much more for looking at my negatives on a light table, even though it doesn't make much difference when printing.

I would give the film another shot.

I had several problems earlier this year but after making some adjustments, none since. It is wonderful film.

4. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Pretty solid experience here. Out of ten rolls, one had some weird splotches/pinholes (of course in the skies) so that roll was shot, but the other were perfect. Found that kinda odd.

5. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, sounds promising.

Currently shooting up my older rolls of Foma (testing a couple of TLR's i bought used) and I was wondering if I should order some more soon.
    Got a bit taken back by the resulting negs though, my oleder blue-base rolls have loads of errors and weirdness going on, so I though I should hear if there has been any improvements before pulling the trigger. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2012
  6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always disliked the foma blues. Very interesting that it is now clear. Hopefully it's also less prone to scratches and bends/crinkles. I'd would like to try it, as I love printing with clear bases such as tmax 100.