so I did it again

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by rhmimac, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rhmimac

rhmimac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Made up my mind on the 35mm combo's I going to keep now after GAS-ing for years:

1.nikon F100+28AFD: for b&w
    2.nikon F100+50AF+85AFD: for b&w

3.nikon F90X/MB10+28-80AF or 35-70AF: for C41/E6 color
    4.nikon F90X/MB10+70-210AF or 75-300AF : for C41/E6 color

5.oly mju zoom MkI 38-70mm: for C41/E6 color
    6.oly mju zoom MkI 38-70mm: for b&w

My arguments for this:

- "prosumer" grade SLR 's on the market now aren't worn out at all and cheap, any pro body I encounter was worn out/used heavily and expensive, so easily/cheaply replaced when broken
    - using 2 identical bodies keep my mind on (color and) composition instead of searching the right button on the other new camera I GAS-sed again
    - it will make my choices limited before heading out, I started to hate having to CHOOSE out of all these machines/lenses before heading out
    - I'm now for choosing one b/w film dev combo and one color film though that seems not very wise considering film use has to be supported as widely as possible

Is there anyone recognising this setup or do you have any recommondations to add to it?
    Tnx.

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I reason like this: the camera situation will never be perfect. It is what it is. As long as my tools are usable and intuitive to use, I will happily snap away and add to the pile of negatives.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inhale and enjoy your GAS! :d

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Inhale and enjoy your GAS! :D

5. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Different stuff for different people, but for me, I think I'd just keep the two F100s and 28, 50, 85. No matter, as long as you are comfortable with the tools and they don't get in the way of your photography.

6. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1. Sounds good.
    2. You'll never stick to it. I've made plans like this several times. There's always something that pulls me in a different direction.

Don't worry about it. And don't think that acquiring 'one more piece' will help to settle things. It never works out that way. Just enjoy your gas.

7. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No manner how far I travel in camera land I always seem to come back to 35mm half frame. Dinky negative I know but.......there you are.

8. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find all the choices distracting too. I never intended to have so many different setups, but it is hard to resist some of the bargains.

For me personally, I'm going a bit the other direction from you and concentrating on my older Leica M stuff. I need to add very little to that.

The hard part is getting rid of the other goodies. I got a Contax (C/Y) system a while ago and find it to be a distraction for me, but it is awfully hard to let those nice lenses go. I have a friend that is not bothered by having decades of accumulated gear laying around, but I waste way too much time and energy thinking about this extra stuff, deciding what to use, and keeping everything reasonably organized.

I think "pen s" has it figured out; just find what works for you and use it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  9. rhmimac

rhmimac Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems the distraction is there for everyone (except L shooters maybe). I really intend to keep the 4 camera's as my only choice will be then color or b&w, not a hard one for me. Color is lab work, costing a couple of €, b&w is nicer but needs investment in darkroomtime. Like I said, easy. Tnx for your input.

10. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have two manual focus bodies, and two autofocus bodies, and a shelf full och bodies needing repair... (ebay bargains that have minor problems).

I use one manual focus body and one autofocs body at a time, and keep/carry (dep. on the situation) the two others as spares.

So in your case, if it was me, I'd use only one body at a time, one for black and one for color, and keep the other two as spares, wrapped in a plastic bag, no batteries in, etc. And the olympus is a good pocket/backup camera to always carry (I have a 35mm mju too).

There's nothing more annoying than a failing camera body in the wrong situation.

11. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pardon my obscurity, but I've heard this expression GAS and I understand it to refer to habitual camera purchases. Bur what does the acronym GAS actually stand for?

12. LarryP

LarryP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ipno it stands for Gear Acquisition Syndrome an obsessive compulsive disorder. There is no cure resistance is futile.:wink:

13. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will add 'and Welcome!' :laugh:

14. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm. A bug by which I have yet to be bitten. Probably because I was lucky enough to get 'my' camera first time. I bought and OM2 back in the summer along with some lenses. And I'm loving it. Then I bought an Agfa Isolette and a Bronica ETRS. In addition I have a Canon EOS 20D.

It might be that I've avoided GAS because I landed on my feet with the Olympus kit first time, even to the point that it stopped me immediately buying an Olympus OMD. So getting the OM2 has probably saved me money at least in the short term, although I do want to migrate my digital kit to Micro 4/3 some time next year.

But the main impediment for me is the proliferation of lens kits. And at the moment that's keeping the bank manager happy because although I spend too much time looking at Feds, Zorkis, Nikons, Canons and heaven knows what (not to mention Leica bank breakers), the thought of yet another lens kit is stopping me actually going so far as to part with cash.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "The Force of GAS to resist futile is! To the Force of GAS one be come!" - Yoda, Star Wars XLVIII

16. Ipno Tizer

Ipno Tizer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I'm eying up an OM1 on ebay at the moment. As lens kits are not an issue with OM gear, I might have a quick sniff of the vapours tomorrow.