So I got an XA today

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by tomalophicon, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
  2. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was that the one on EBay that ended yesterday?

3. werra

werra Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XA is a fabulous piece of equipment, capable of excellent quality. Shutter release is a bit, hum, trigger-happy :smile:

4. Opiatephoto

Opiatephoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had mine for a few months now. It's a bit quirky- the focus is a bit odd, the shutter is as mentioned above, it's easy to get fingerprints on the lens when opening/closing the clamshell. But aside from all that, it's a little wonder. Mine lives in my pocket now. It even saved my bacon when the shutter on my F3 failed mid shoot. I finished on the XA and the results are great.

5. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I love my XA, can not put it down! Was traveling on business the other day and had it in my sport coat pocket the whole trip, as the group walked to the next meeting (we were outside) I saw something beautiful, pulled her out, grabbed the shot in a matter of seconds, and resumed the walk, barely skipping a beat in the conversation. The XA is changing my whole approach to photography, 2.8 lens is a beaut. I think I want two now, one for b/w and one for color :blink:

6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Hi Shane, no it's not that one. That was a bit dubious. The seller was saying that the shutter speeds were all perfect but they couldn't test the light meter because there was no battery :laugh:... I passed on it.

7. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yes, I think we will get along very well. I have an XA2 coming that I got in a trade that I'll leave in the glove box of the car.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to own an XA, it lived in my shirt pocket for years, went everywhere with me. Bought it new back in the 80's, loaned it to a friend who went trekking in Nepal, fantastic piece of equiptment for the size. Use your sunglasses for a filter when necessary, they are prone to flare.

9. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got an XA and an XA2 and find the ability to manually control focus and aperture on the XA to be a real bonus,not being much of a fan of the zone focusing on the XA2.Having said that I do love both cameras and almost always have one of them with me because they're so pocket friendly!Shoot on!

10. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    They appear to be loved.

This thread is useless without pics though :smile:

11. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    img048.jpg

12. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    By the way it was taken out the window of my moving truck at about 20mph.XA.Agfa apx 400,Ektalure,Lith.Bleach on Fence.

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh gosh,you'll be hooked for good. I have fond memories of long, long ago — 1980 to around 1983, of taking my beloved little XA all around Australia as a touring cyclist, my little XA bobbing up and down in my handlebar bag always ready for action. Over the following years I've owned an XA on and off (2001 last time), but not now: I find it impossible to focus this little gem now with my eyes requiring glasses. Still a legend after all these years — the camera, I mean! :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Neg scans from my first test roll

Neopan 400
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PanF+, (sorry for the bad pic of a print)....

[​IMG]

16. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    here are a couple of pictures I took with the XA when walking around town. I really like the XA, but the shutter button has become so difficult, that I stopped using it. I always had to wiggle the winder wheel before the shutter would release. Guess I should look for a more reliable one.

Jon

Attached Files:

17. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years ago I have had an XA gone flaky, shutter release wise, sent in for repair.

The repair guy died. I profited a lot from the liquidation auction of the stuff his shop stocked.
    Four bladed easels 11x14, enlarger grain focussers, 8x10 safe lights, much much more etc. about $40.

Then more stuff from his storage location on sale at a photo swap show four month later. About $55; a lot of all sorts of flashbulbs. Like about 800 of them. Sold maybe a quarter of the the big box just bought at my table five minutes later for $40.

Then gave some of the large old flashbulbs I had no use for to a gal at a local photo rental place, who I know loves them.
    She gives me a surplus wing lynch water panel she has too many of (from scouring what was left behind when Kodak left Toronto and abandon buildings at Mt. Dennis).

Then I buy a replacement XA off a classified ad here before I blocked looking at them.
    from John... the Banana, for a most reasonable price, and it is in great shape.

I take it to Cub winter camp with my son's troop, and take a whack of photos with it that weekend.

The troop leader leaves town a few months after, and lands on my doorstep to give me an XA2, and stylus epic, and a bunch of expired c-41 film as he is clearing his house prior to moving, knowing I still am addicted to film.

All from that first dead XA. So joy from these things even when they die.

18. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After a small journey to find a good portable camera, I have found teh XA series and am very glad that I did! There is a reason why these are held in such regard, they are simply amazing! I first got an XA and was absolutely blown away by the quality of the images that it makes. Together with its size, it's absolutely perfect. After using my XA for a month or two, I picked up an XA-2 for a measly $10 and that really pushed my love for the XA series even higher. I now carry the XA-2 with its companion A-11 flash pretty much everywhere. I've taken so many wondeful shots with it and it is an absolute joy to use, I couldn't be any happier. It does have a weakness and that's its weak shutter release button which is very flaky, but I can live with it if I keep getting such wonderful results from it. Much love for the XAs!

19. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought an XA with the flash for 10 bucks at my local thrift store on a whim, hoping it would work. Alas, it does not. I have a flash though for whatever XA may enter my life in the future.

20. parleton

parleton Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have XA with me most of the time got it on the fleebay. nice little sharp camera although scared me first few days as the aperture stuck wide open but then now is functional.

21. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    wow great pics and stories all.
    Maybe I can add some pics here in the coming days.

22. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only have the XA2 but still a nice little camera.
    [​IMG]

23. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Great picture Shane.

24. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, that's awesome, Shane. What film did you use?

25. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Shane you make that camera dance!!!! Outstanding photograph!

26. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't it funny how we can find joy in such simple little cameras and not fight over a 2000$ L-lens? The XAs rock.