So, I'm a little bit new to this...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by PaperNoire, Jun 12, 2013.

1. PaperNoire

PaperNoire Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey there.

So, I'm a little bit new to the whole world of analog photography. I mean, I've been into photography as a passion since around 2008. I mainly just used some disposable cameras up until getting my first ever SLR in 2011, the Canon 600D. Which has, in fact, served me quite well. That is until I cleared the ignorance in my head about film cameras. It was like discovering a whole new world, and that's exactly how it feels.

Based upon the very short (only a few months, really!) period I've spent in analog photography, I've not really picked up my digital in quite sometime. I find myself being dragged further and further into this analog world, and to be honest I'm quite happy with it. It's a whole lot of fun!

I come with a slight request in this post, if I'm honest... I currently own an Olympus Trip 35, which is a lovely little camera and I got a few good rolls of film out of it. But I wanted something more... I was so used to my DSLR, that I had to get an SLR. I just find it so much more intuitive being able to see exactly what I'm going to get. I mean, sure, I love rangefinders, but I simply can't get to grips with it at all. I just, can't! So I ended up investing in an Olympus OM10, which is a real beauty. It's served me well over this past month that I've had it, with 3 rolls of film that I've been very happy with... However, it's recently, in fact basically today, come to the conclusion... That it's short journey is over. My Olympus OM10 is basically, dead.

Yeah I know I could take it to a repair shop or get it fixed, but the fact of the matter is I suppose I might let this death stay and well, move on already. I mean, I've found my self obsessed with the whole Nikon-F following, and all the cameras that came off it (FE, FM, etc.) - but right about now, especially after the purchase of the OM10, I'm skint. Being a 15 year old high school student too, well, even skinter. I'm hoping on getting a job sometime soon.

I have a little request from anyone in the forum.

Would anyone be willing, say, if they have one just lying around or are trying to get rid of one, give me a price on a Nikon-F, or FM / FE? Something along this series. Or, even better I suppose, if anyone could recommend a brand or an SLR that I can pick up reasonably cheap that is of high quality, and will produce some cracking images? If it can take a nifty fifty lens, I'm all over it.

Thanks!

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go on ebay and get a Nikkormat FT2. You'll never go wrong.

3. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon is a great system to get into because pretty much any Nikon manual-focus lens will go onto any manual-focus Nikon camera. The N#### series tends to be rather plasticky, but any of the metal F-series should serve you well. I have the FM myself. Before you know it, you'll be developing your own film!

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm one of those who will pound into people's heads--FT2, FT2... The prices now are dirt cheap,it opens you up to any Nikkor lens ever made, before and after, it has a 357 battery and not a PX625, it is as rugged as an anvil. Anything after that will lock you in to the higher priced AI lenses, which is pointless. Anything after 1977 ties you down you needlessly high priced lenses.
    You don't want an F. They take PX625,s and you do NOT want that. Plus, if it's the least little bit dark above your head, you can't see the meter needle. Irritating.

5. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    How about a pentax K1000? Built like a tank and will last you a lifetime.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no place to even put a battery in my F.:wink:

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ++

Intuitive, easy to use, big nobs, great glass. What's not to like? And I'm a Minolta guy.

8. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think someone who specifically asks for Nikon gear is probably set on the Nikon world, n'est-ce-pas?

I'm a Canon guy personally, to the extent that I shoot 35mm SLRs at all (which is pretty minimal now), but I agree that the later Nikkormats are terrific cameras. You have to do the Nikon manual-indexing routine, but apparently you get used to that pretty quickly. The only real downside I see is that Nikon's manual-focus lenses have held their value better than other manufacturers', since they mount on their DSLR bodies as well. You can build up a fantastic Canon FD, or I suppose Pentax K- or screwmount, outfit for peanuts; less so where Nikkor lenses are concerned.

-NT

9. PaperNoire

PaperNoire Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for your quick replies, it's really put some ease on me (I've been a little bit semi-worked up about the OM10 xD)

The Nikon FT2 looks like a camera I missed in my "Nikon with an F in the front of the name" research. Thank you all for pointing it out... It looks like my camera of choice right about now! Will have to do a little bit of saving though. I'm that poor right now!

And Terry - I actually plan to setup my own darkroom sometime in the summer. I mean, I'll soon have access to one thanks to my bro's friend who has all the equipment for it, just needs to set it up. and the photography teacher at my high school recently mentioned that they're setting up the dark room again (we have one, it's just sort of, not been used in a little while!) -The teacher even said if I bring him some film, we can develop it together, for free, because he needs practice!

It's an exciting world for a 15 year old, I must say. Can't wait to get my hands on my Nikon FT2, and can't wait to see what wonderful shots I'll get out of it!

Thank you all again for your kind responses :smile:

--- Also, while I'm at it... Can anyone link me to a good 50mm lens I could get with the Nikon FT2? I can't seem to find one on Ebay, maybe I'm just not searching hard enough. If someone could link me, I'd appreciate it!

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would personally recommend the Nikon FM as it's quite inexpensive and perhaps the 50mm f/2 AI lens which is very good and isn't expensive either. But any camera you choose it would be fine. We just need more 15 year old to shoot film.

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No! Not ebay! www.keh.com They will stand behind their products. If there is any problem, they will take care of you.

Welcome to APUG

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or look at the classifieds here. It's hard to go wrong with KEH though.:smile:

16. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought a beautiful black FTn with a 1.4 lens, all in mint condition with case for 40 bucks off dregslist. Though I don't recommend an FTn to this fellow on account of the PX625 battery.

17. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC there are one or two models which will take AI and pre AI lenses. I think the FT3 is one?

I like the Ftn, I use hearing aid cells with an o-ring bushing and 3 of the four holes blocked off, I get well over a year per cell. But I'm a stubborn Luddite. :wink:

18. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No the FT3 is post-prong era. Made 1 year only--1977. The same year that the ELW was renamed Nikon EL2, and the FM came out. All AI lenses. All this would be fine for the OP, if he was willing to do stop-down metering with the older cheaper lenses.

19. mr rusty

mr rusty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Personally If I wanted a high-spec SLR I would stick with olympuses (olympii??) - a little less expensive than Nikon gear and every bit as good - particularly good value are OM1n (for mainly manual with match-needle meter) or OM2n (aperture priority auto metering). If buying from fleabay (where body-only seem to making around the £50 mark), factor in another £50 for a CLA and foam renewal (and a battery upgrade on the OM1) from Mike Spencer at Camerarepairs-r-us and you will have a tool you can use for a very long time. Olympus OMs are worth spending out for a service. Alternatively have a look at ffordes.co.uk, where you do get a bit of warranty - and which they DO honour - first hand experience!

Don't forget, your OM10 lens will fit the other OMs. Asking on here for camera advice you are always going to get different answers based on users own experience and preference. As you have a good lens from your OM10, you only need a body (although the 1.8 50mm is so cheap you virtually get them free anyway - and they are also an excellent lens).

If you really want to be a cheapskate look at the Minolta X300 - similar quality to the OM10, but fully aperture priority auto or manual, cheap as chips and the minolta lenses are generally excellent. Quick look on "completed listings" and there are 4 of these WITH lenses went for under £15 in the first dozen listings!! The X300 isn't worth having a service on - just buy another!

20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    IMO, the OP mentioned Nikon as his area of search. When somebody says Nikon, then there's no point in mentioning others.

21. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm digging my Nikon FE. Love Auto mode on this. There going for less than 100.00 bucks on the web.

Todd

22. mr rusty

mr rusty Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    'tis true, but when you are a skint 15 year old, a dose of reality is sometimes needed. There's only air between lens and film on even the most expensive camera, so measured on image quality a nice Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.7 on a £5 Minolta X300 will give anybody's Nikon a run for the money!

23. PaperNoire

PaperNoire Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well to be honest, I'm currently open to anything and everything! I only mentioned it because at this point in time my area of search was the Nikon Fs (as in, every Nikon F camera kind of thing, 60s, 70s etc?). Currently I seem to be shifting very swiftly to the Nikon FM.

A couple of questions on it as I'm a little confused, I'm sure there are a few Nikon FM experts already on this thread - can you tell me a bit about it, like, battery wise I mean? As in, are the batteries it uses still in production? I have several types of hearing-aid batteries and cell batteries in a drawer downstairs and I was just wondering if I'd need to buy special batteries online or something.

Also, I probably will end up getting my OM10 serviced and repaired later on in the future when I have some money that isn't going towards a Nikon FM!

24. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You know something?--it just occurred to me you're in England. I have no idea what cameras, batteries, or anything else is available to you. Sorry.

25. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    There are only two things you need to know ...

1) try new batteries -silver oxide only- in your OM-10. It is probably not as dead as you fear.

2) buy an OM-2 not a Nikon

26. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd suggest looking into something with lenses that will fit both a manual and battery-operated camera.
    I'm sure with an Olympus or Nikon your options will be very good.

Automatic exposure with coupled metering is nice, but batteries die and electronics fail. This is bad when you are in the middle of taking pictures.
    I've a Sears KS-2 (rebranded Ricoh XR-7), and in the future I will pick up something 100% manual that fits my k-mount lenses, and carry it as a back-up.