So just what is being made in Kodak Park?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by pbromaghin, Jul 2, 2013.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was talking to a gallery owner, former Nat Geo photog and half-nutcase last week who told me no film is being made in Rochester and all the machines have been torn down. That's not what I recall reading here. He's a lot more connected than I so I am doubting my memory. So just what is being made in Kodak Park?

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about what else is being made, but film is being made/coated in building 38 which is a state of the art facility.

People should stop spreading bad information.

3. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a digital shooter thing. They love spreading this crap.

4. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just like APUG members like to spread rumors about all things digital. It's not an analog or digital thing - people just like to tell stories based on information they think they heard.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is still one manufacturing line at old Kodak making still and cine fiilms. Furthermore there is a machine shop making their consumer(?) and their industrial printing machines. I guess their single-use cameras are made there too.
    Kodak is seeking tennants for their estate.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, one of those are doubtful.

7. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, well.

Funny, but this guy shoots film only. One of his first jobs was as a lab assistant for St Ansel and he was a staff shooter for National Geographic. He really is crazy, though. Loves to tell stories. It was hard to get out the door.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seen the relative decline of Kodak worldwide and at Kodak Park during the last years that guy is not far off from truth.

9. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe he is a prophet.

10. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I could find it now - a lf photographer just recently made a really-well done short about film but basically said the same thing - film is dead, not getting made anymore, end of an art, blah blah blah

11. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I was making presentations for Kodak on the coming digital technologies in the late 1980s, on of my slides was a cover of the trade paper VARIETY that said "Film is Dead". If you read the article, you found they were talking about the use of film in TV news gathering. and in fact, with the introduction of portable video camcorders, film WAS dead in that application. (It was in Variety in 1956. See: http://www.incite-online.net/hancox.html )

It's probably safe to say that for consumer photography, film is pretty much dead. It doesn't mean that film is dead for all users (like those here on APUG), but the use of film HAS drastically declined overall. Don't be surprised if a lot of people feel that fim is dead; after all, it is dead for them, in their image capturing.

Edit: note the VARIETY article came out when Ampex first introduced the video recorder in 1956. Electronic news gathering came about 20 years later

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  12. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Kodak has said they will continue to manufacture film for the new distribution/marketing company; what's not clear to me is who will do the slitting, spooling and packaging of such film.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  13. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as I can stuff it in a camera, we're good...

14. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have a voice of reason and reality, it was the mid 80's when the first of my friends (a committed amateur) went 100% digital, he spent a small fortune on the first consumer megapixel camera ironically a Polaroid, ironically i was going the other way committing bto Large Format for my personal work but I'd been shootin LF since the 70's commercially.

I think a point that's always missed is that we now have many choices for image capture, film - B&W or Colour, negative/positive, Polaroid - Imposible Project or Fuji, and Digital. They are all just tools, but as a competeant photographer you need to make your own choices of what you use.

Ian

15. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm

That's a point I always used to end my presentations!

16. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadly, a lot of pink slips.