So what do I need to print sheet film?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Top-Cat, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Top-Cat

Top-Cat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It seems my "hunter-gatherer" instincts are running amok these days and I keep getting a hold of large format equipment, now I'm about to have a second 9X12 camera, this time with a functioning film holder and maybe even some extra film (already got a pack of 200 ISO Europan). So if the equipment is in order I just might be able to shoot some large format in not too long a time.

Only question remains, what do I do to get a real print out of it?

It seems like there's no good lab in all of Scandinavia for high quality prints, and I'm not sure if I can settle for just the contact prints if I get any good images out of it.

So I'll go ahead and ask that silly question that's probably been asked so many times before - what do I need for print here? Are there special enlargers for large format?

I've seen in movies and documentaries about Ansel Adams that enlargers back in the day were often mounted horizontally and not vertically like roll film enlargers - are there possibilities of using the same enlarger if I get the right enlarger lens or what?

Sorry if I'm too rash to do my homework before I ask this question, I just thought I'd put this out there first and see what happens.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, there are enlargers for larger films.

You could also contact print.

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ansel Adams did his homework and would never use iStock.....that's about all I have to contribute to this thread...:munch:

4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You should find yourself quite happy with contact prints from 9x12.

If you are like me you will be able to immediately see a depth of detail, above and beyond what can be done with any enlargement.

5. Top-Cat

Top-Cat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know I'm green (as in new) on this area, but no use being surly and mean about it - and for your information, I might not have made much money on iStock, but I've gained some valuable experience, not to mention learned that I'm a decent enough composer as well as photographer to be able to sell my stuff.

[video=youtube;hpiIWMWWVco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpiIWMWWVco[/video]

6. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi TC

you could have a back made for your camera that is a light source
    and then turn your camera into an enlarger ( like a graflarger back did to a speed / crown graphic ).

people have said the same thing to me about imagekind
    but i have sold a bunch and enjoyed myself, and don't have
    and elitist attitude ( and i used to part own a brick and mortar art gallery ) :smile:
    if istock is what you are involved with enjoy it, the naysayers say nay about a lot of things,
    some thought the world was flat ( and still is ) as well ...

bill is a yay sayer, contact prints from your negatives will be very nice.
    look for some long expired azo and a light bulb will be your friend.
    have fun!
    john

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Top-Cat

Top-Cat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great idea, I might be able to experiment with that - I was about to look for 135mm prime lenses for this - but it seemed a bit of a big project for me at the moment.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    4x5"/9x12cm enlargers and lenses are plentiful and most work just like enlargers for smaller formats, and can in fact be used for smaller formats. If you stick to a popular brand like Omega, Beseler, or Durst, you'll find lots of parts and accessories available for them.

Adams had horizontal enlargers for printing big from 8x10" negs. Don't worry about that. You don't need a horizontal enlarger for 9x12cm unless you are making murals.

9. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But. Using the 810 build as an example, a 45 would be a lot smaller. I suspect much less $$ since you're in Scandinavia and I keep reading there's not an abundance of LF darkroom up there.
    A simple sliding track system for gross adjustments and something like a Speed Graphic focusing bed for fine.
    Bellows are available online for not a lot of $$ and can be made to order for more $$$$.

10. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    30 watt light bulb for regular paper or a 300 watt for azo...attach it to a pulley system so you can regulate the light..nothing fancy or complicated here...
    Best, Peter

11. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where in Scandinavia are you?
    I have a spare 9x12 enlarger that just needs a good home.

12. Top-Cat

Top-Cat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in Ski (south of Oslo), but my girlfriend is in Uppsala, so I travel twice a month from Oslo to Stockholm and then up to Uppsala. Never been in Lund before, but with a bit of planning I might be available to pick it up some day (I hear Lund is fairly similar to Uppsala seeing as they're both great university cities).

13. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Top-Cat,

If you really want to enlarge using traditional darkroom methods, a 4x5 enlarger can be obtained at a reasonable price. However, contact prints can be made quite easily and they can be scanned with a flatbed scanner until you are sure you want to take the plunge. If, of course, it is simply sheet film you are new to, find a large format enlarger without delay! Optically printing sheet film is immediately satisfying, particularlly if you only have experience with 35mm.

Neal Wydra

14. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4X5 enlargers fit very easily on the benchtop and will produce prints up to 16X20 without trouble. The LPL 5X7 enlarger also works nicely on the average bench. One thing to look out for is the negative carriers. 9X12 carriers can be a bit hard to find, although they are available for all of the popular enlargers. You can use a 4X5 glass carrier if you need to.

15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Top-Cat,

I forgot about metric, you will enjoy being able to enlarge...

16. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There you go, sounds like a road trip is in order. And if this enlarger doesn't work out, by all means contact print your negatives. My girl friend. And I just purchased two Darren Samuelson contact prints (http://darrensamuelson.com/) one is 4x5 and the other 14x36, yes that's inches. :smile: Both prints are wonderful so don't hesitate to contact print those 9x12 negs, and if you do get an enlarger, you may still want to contact print some of your 9x12's.

Roger