So who is using Pentax 67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Soeren, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I got this old Pentax 6X7 with a 75mm f/4,5.
    I kind of like the focallenght And the performance is just great though I'd like a f/2.8. Now should that be a 75mm or a 90mm.
    I am in the market for a 45mm f/4.0 soon and the last addition will be either a 135mm or a 165mm. What are you guys using and what are your thoughts ?
    There is something about the format I really like. I do like 6X6 as well but never got used to 4.5X6. 6X7 is about the perfect format for me but I can't just not say why.
    Cheers
    Søren

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am using a shutterless Carl Zeiss 180mm 2.8 lens with my P67.

Let us know how you will hold/sleeve your 10 negs.

3. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 67II occasionally with a 55mm, 100mm, and 165LS. It has pretty much replaced my F3 as a walk around camera. The Matrix metering in my model is incredibly accurate! My photo friends think it is a bit heavy, but for 15 years I shot special events (and other things) professionally, and my walk around was a Hassy with a 50mm lens and 70mm back mounted on a grip with a Vivitar 285 and a Quantum battery. Now that was heavy!

4. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The negs goes into the ordinary negsleeves if thats what you meant.
    180mm Carl Zeiss ? I'd like to know more about that.
    Cheers
    Søren

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd like to know how you cut and store them.

As for the lens...it's an oddball. It has a Pentax mount. It does not have any shutterblades on the inside so I can only shoot it at 2.8. THe bokeh is amazing though.

6. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So far I had my negs developed by a lab and they cut them and put them in ordinary neg sleeves. I recon Ill do as I did with my 6X6 negs. Cut them with a pair of scissors, just sleeve them and store them in a ring binder. I guess you ask because they tend to be a couple of mm's wider than the sleeves they go into, right ?
    Cheers
    Søren

7. jss

jss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    soren,
    i have a beautiful 67. it came with the 2.8/90.. but what gets the most play is a 4/45mm. i've taken it backpacking, walked around with it in the city, used it with flash strobes. its my favorite medium format for the time being. 6x7 really is a great format.

before i was doing MF, i found myself taking more wide angle shots in 35mm. as soon as i saw the 4/45, i knew i had to have it. i picked mine up from KEH.

8. Charles Webb

Charles Webb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using the Pentax 67 since it was introduced. The camera is heavy, but the results are excellent. I have never liked 6x6 though I used Rollei and Hasselblad for years. Still have three Hasselblads, but seldom use them. The Pentax does what I want with no fuss. Some claim the shutter slap is so bad that it can ruin and image, it is loud, but I have never been able to see any effect caused by S.S. on a negative from 1/125 up. I won't argue with the xperts, but I am satisfied with the negative quality 100 percent. I love the 6x7 format, it fits my way of seeing. I use the 105 mm
    as a normal lens. Prefer the 162 mm 2.8 for head and shoulders to 3/4 length
    portraits. Also does a wonderful job with brides full length. Seldom use w angle but have them if needed. I use the 55 mm most often as it appears a bit sharper than my 45 mm. The fact is I use the W WA so seldom I am not even sure what focal length it is. The bottom line here is: Pentax 6x7 works for me.

Charlie.........................

9. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the 67II with 55mm 90mm and 150mm. I love it and it mostly replaces my 35mm gear. The 55mm is the sharpest and heaviest i've got. You'll need a very sturdy tripod and head. My 410 geared head didn't cut it and neither did the 3021 tripod. I always use MLU too.
    I always hope for one neg that's no good but usually end up putting 2 in the 9th pocket. Larger print file sleeves are available that hold more 6x7 negs but aren't readily available and won't fit in most binders.

10. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a P67 built in 1981, with 55mm, 105mm, 135mm macro and 200mm lenses. Since I also shoot other formats, use of this camera has long fallow periods followed by periods of intense usage. I once shot a beautiful turquise-blue damsel fly with the 105mm lens plus a couple of extenders - it was like handling a bazooka, but it got the job done. The DOF was so shallow that only the damsel fly's body was in focus, everything else was beautiful bokeh....

Anyway, great camera - built like a tank. About that loud shutter - anybody hear rumors about the "red-ear reduction" mod?

11. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Soeren,
    Those four lenses you listed are a great start!
    When I'm doing my nature thing, they are part of my "basic pack." But most times I use the 55mm instead of the 45mm. I never shoot off-tripod, and always lock up the mirror before exposure. The 135mm is super sharp for close-ups at f16, and even f22, if you keep the edge to edge area nice and flat to the focal plane.
    Tons of stuff on ebay for this system.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    Long live Ciba!!!

12. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    55, 90, 200 and will probably get a 135 eventually because they're so damn inexpensive used, and my wife wants the macro capability. (Actually, the 135 was the first lens I bought, and it was promptly stolen the first day I used it. I set it on a backpack on the ground behind me in a park in Westchester and never saw the thief. Boy was I upset!!! Stupid and angry at the same time.)

The shutter vibration has only affected one set of negatives in all the years I've used my P67 and they were long exposures (45 seconds or so) made at night from the roof of an apartment building in NYC. There are double images of point source lights that are only visible...and up close at that....in 11x14 prints.

Love that camera system!

13. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have a couple of P67 bodies and the the 75/2.8,105,165,and the 300 (older version). Plus some extension tubes and a couple of adapters that let me use some older brass lenses on the body. Right now, I can use Voightlander Heliar, and some older Dallmeyer Patent brass lenses on the P67 and they create some really special images. I have to say the 75/2.8 is the sharpest of the lot.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh yes I forgot, the extensiontubes. I have all three of them. They work great with my 75mm, but the lightloss......... :smile:
    I noticed that a lot of you use the 55mm and not the 45mm. Same thing with the 6X6 cameras. People tend to use the 50mm instead of the 40mm, why ? Especially when talking 6X7, why ? Is it the price ? Angle of view ? When it comes to the square format I'd recon it's the difficulties controlling the amount of sky in the pic but in 6X7 it's not that much of a problem, is it ?
    Or is it the static format vs the dynamic perspective of the lens
    Cheers Søren

16. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another Pentax 6x7 (without MLU) user. The format works great for me (although the Fuji 645 is a good companion too!). Very fond of the 105 Takumar lens, but I also have the 75 shift lens and the 55 mm lens. I'm so attached to the format so I have even modified a Holga to become 6x7 toycam.

17. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just like the view with the 55mm better!

18. Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It wasn't a choice made on technical comparisons for me. There was this beautiful new 55mm lens on the store counter, and this money in my wallet,....

I haven't seen the angle of view with the 45mm, but I suspect it may be too much for me. I seldom go below 28mm on a 35mm system.

19. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

P67II with 55, 90, 135macro, & 165. Ext tubes. A very capable camera and lenses are 'cheap'. I use it when the Mamiya 7 isn't right.

I'd like to get a diopter lens. Anybody use these?

20. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 55 is my least used lens (as was my 28 for the 35mm). Wider would probably never be used at all. It's hard to manage that large a field of view and have all the elements count for something in the photograph. Perhaps in the western wide open spaces it's different, but not here in the east for me.

21. Karate Dad

Karate Dad Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax 67

I've have a couple of the older 6x7 MLU bodies. I use the 105mm f2.4 as my normal lens. I also have a 165mm f2.8 and 55mm f3.5 lens. I really like the 55mm lens as it's very sharp. My 105 has started to yellow so it's currently sitting on the window sill wrapped in aluminum foil!

John

22. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the newer 100mm with macro diopter. I shoot macros with the diopter in place (screw in), and remove it when using the 100 as my normal lens. Works great. Here are a couple of shots with the macro diopter in place:

photo #1
    photo #2

23. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not many girls using the Pentax 67 (youre about the only one Darr), wonder why :smile:
    BTW great pics on your weblog.
    Cheers Søren

24. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Søren: Thanks for the compliments!
    Maybe the Pentax 67 is too macho looking for the girls ;o)
    It is heavy, but hey, my hubby doesn't mind helping me lug it around.

25. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 67II for air photography with the f2.8 90mm and Tri-X 220 film (I used to use Delta 400 before it ran out). One day I'll get a wide angle for it and use it on the ground too. It's a bit of a pig to re-load quickly in a cramped cockpit, but the results are worth it.

David.