Sodium ascorbate + Rodinal

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by luxikon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. luxikon

luxikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

has anybody here tried sodium ascorbate with Rodinal to reduce grain on HP5+ or similar film material? Did it work? How was development time affected?

luxikon

2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. Yes. If dilution is 1:100, use 2 grams sodium ascorbate/liter and the time for 1:50. If dilution is 1:50, use 4 grams sodium ascorbate/liter and the time for 1:25.

Lee

3. luxikon

luxikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee,

I did it like that:

Rodinal 1+100 (5ml + 500ml) plus 1 g sodium ascorbate // 18°C // 20 min // rotation development.

I have to reduce time a little bit but the grain is better as with pure Rodinal.

Thanks.

4. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're welcome. My advice is based on what I did with recommendations from Pat Gainer. With continuous rotary agitation, reduced time would be in order to prevent too much build up of contrast. Jobo has also said that a presoak of 5 minutes before development will make rotary processing more compatible with times for standard small tank intermittent agitation (5 secs every 30 secs, or 10 secs/minute), but that's also a "ball park" suggestion that you should expect to modify slightly based on your personal results.

Lee