Software for negative management (archiving)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by macandal, Oct 3, 2012.

1. macandal

macandal Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    So, I found this thread about negative management:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/106503-negative-management.html

They offer some good systems about cataloging one's photographs (YY-Roll/Sheet, etc). There's a lot of info there to think about how complicated or how easy one wants to keep one's negatives. If anyone wants to contribute more to that, you're welcome to do so.

However, my question has to do with software. I've decided that rather than keeping contact sheets or looking at a negative through a lupe to select an image, I want to scan my negatives and keep a digital archive of each image. Each image will then have tags that describe what the image represents. All other additional info, such as the processing method used to develop the image, would also be included here. So the question is, what's a good software to buy to archive my negatives? I was thinking about getting Apple's Aperture. Has anyone used that? Would you recommend it? I'm taking suggestions solely for the purpose of archiving images. Even with my digital images, I'm not one to alter my images digitally that much, so that's why I haven't considered Photoshop or Lightroom, but I'm open to what works best. Thanks.

2. kanzlr

kanzlr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Aperture on the Mac for that. I tag them with the map and film nr. and image nr. on the film.
    works for me :smile:

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adobe Lightroom has a lot of advantages when it comes to keeping track of images, so I wouldn't discount it totally. In particular, it includes built in tools that aid in systemizing organization of files and ensuring backups, and includes a work-flow that helps protect against inadvertent write-over of originals.

Corel's Aftershot Pro has some similarities to Lightroom, and has the advantage of a license that permits using with each of Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems.

4. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm a Mac user and have been using Apple's Aperture since it came out and like it. I have friends that like Adobe's LightRoom.

5. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use Lightroom for this very purpose. It works well.

6. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Photo Mechanic version 4.5 which is very good for many tasks, but doesn't - this old version at least - offer a search through the entire collection of pictures. It is basically directory-based. It is very good for keywording though, and it lets you set keywords or other information (such as photographer, copyright etc.) in "batch mode". It is configurable with a list of aliases which shortens typing in certain situations.

I use Adobe Lightroom 2.3 for searching into my entire image database. This is an old version (I think they are at version 4 by now) but it is fit for the purpose. I don't find Lightroom practical for keywording.

Both programs can write file informations on XML "sidecar files" and/or append the information to the image itself. I find it better to use sidecar files. They also allow exchange of information between programs (I see in Lightroom keywords and description that I prepared with PhotoMechanic, and vice versa). Lightroom also keeps an internal database which is populated with all information into sidecar files and used for searches.

Lightroom costs more but offers more as it is a program for basic photographic post-processing of scans. It also opens "linear DNG" files.

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Lightroom 4 is much better about keywording than it used to be. That is what I use to catalog all my images, film and digital.

8. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that Photoshop Elements 10 (and 11 soon), does a very nice job of cataloging images. Terrific and easy to use search capabilities too.

9. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find Lightroom to be excruciatingly slow for this purpose, especially if you have thousands of large files in your archive like I do. Lightroom and aperture are really raw editing programs, and that's what they do best. I prefer a dedicated database, and I have been using Microsoft Expression Media (formerly iView Mediapro, now sold by Phase One under yet another name) for many years. It is fast even with the thousands of images in the database. It lets me put my images on any disk I want, even external drives, and it builds a database without altering or moving the image files, and it lets you find the original file with a click of the mouse.