Soldering iron

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Mike Kennedy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a few items that need just a touch of solder ie.battery contacts. My old gun style iron is like shooting flys with a scatter gun. What should I be looking for? Maybe a pencil? What sort of wattage?
    Mucho thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    25 Watt will do most medium-duty jobs such as soldering to battery holder contacts, transformer tags etc. A 15-18W is useful for more delicate electronic components. Having said that, you could splash out a little more on a variable temperature controlled iron which is more powerful but will not overheat the component.

Cheers, Bob.

3. Gusi

Gusi Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Little solders with BIG GUN

Hello.

Sometimes, when I have only a big soldering iron and have to make a little soldering ( repairing boards, ... ) I tie a little piece of copper wire to the tip of the tool. This acts as a new tip and l have'n to go away for another solder pen.

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bob and Gusi,
    I am off to get a variable wattage soldering pen from Radio Shack. I will use the copper wire trick when the need arrises.
    Mike
    PS: Just found out that Radio Shack was taken over by Circuit City.Another big box dealer. Guess they are in for some store closures & lay offs.HEY! I wonder if Circuit City is a subsidiarity of The Evil Yellow Men?

5. Jon Goodman

Jon Goodman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I simply keep an extra tip for my large Weller gun. This extra tip I have filed down to a pencil point, and it works great in small spaces. I remember to pre-tin the two parts I'm going to solder and then just use the gun long enough to make the bond...ie quick as a bunny. Those variable guns are pretty pricey.

Jon

6. dr bob

dr bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good advice. I have done a ton of soldering over 50 years and have found out a secret: when soldering small heat sensitive parts such as printed circuit boards, it is better to use a high wattage iron with a small tip. The reason is the heat is transmitted quickly, the job completed quickly and the heat removed quickly. A small low wattage iron requires long contact with the parts to get the temperature up and allows more heat transfer to unwanted parts/areas. Also don’t cheap on the solder. Best is best. Thirdly, keep all the surfaces clean –the iron, the parts, the solder. When you think the parts are clean enough, clean them again….

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Happened last year or the year before. All they've done is change the name and the labels. It's the same mess it always has been.