Solid bodied 35 w/incorp't flash

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by waynecrider, Jan 12, 2007.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking for a solid traveling camera that has the pop up incorporate flash. I believe the Maxxum 9 does; Anything else?

2. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a lot of choices, including the Nikon N50 I keep in the car. Do you have a lens mount preference?

3. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've got a N80 now and I don't see it as a robust body. Minolta's would seem stronger.

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the problem will be pop up flash equals consumer grade. Which tends to mean not that sturdy.

I guess you really want to avoid adding a small flash to a non-popup flash camera?

5. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Exactly. I do have a small Metz that I like, but it's not TTL or anything. The SB for my Nikon makes it very top heavy.

Although incorporated flashes have a pretty small GN, they still are pretty useful for the family snaps. I've gotten use to my N80 without having to add a SB light to the top or side. Overall I really like the N80, I have two of them, but I just need a body that can take the bumps and bruises when traveling the harder roads. I thought perhaps that Canon might have something but I don't see anything from a pro perspective.

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep an eye out for the Agfa 383cs. Not very heavy. Four AA. Takes all Metz SCA 300/3000 modules. So it supports TTL. Can be pretty cheap. My record was $1 -) Mounts to the side of the camera.

7. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the Maxxum 7 is also a pro camera with a pop up flash and has the benefits of Minolta's wonderful wireless flash with the 3500xi through the 5600HS.

8. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any benefits of going up to the 9?

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wayne,

The N50 is pretty solid, though consumer grade in its features, much more solid than the N65, for example. It's also really cheap at KEH.

10. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    7 vs 9

More fps, a sturdier body (professional and heavy). It may not be capable of using the newer Minolta G lenses. I never owned the 9, and was always pleased with my 7; having owned an original 7000i, a 5000, 800si, 600si, 3xi, 7xi and finally the 300si (a p/s with changeable lenses). I would compare the 7 to the F100 without the actual heft needed.

11. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as the insipid "command dial" doesn't strip out on you, the Canon EOS 5, aka A2/A2E is pretty dependable and they're cheap to buy used. I've used a couple of these for almost seven years now and they've held up well. The dials on both cameras did fail early on and had to be replaced but, once the repairs were made, they've been very dependable despite being made of lightweight plastic that doesn't inspire confidence. Nice features such as a 5 fps motor, decent autofocus, fairly bright viewfinder, well-placed controls and eye-control focus (which I don't use).