Solid Neutral Density filters

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by rayonline_nz, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any samples off solid ND filters for me to have a look. Ie., with and without the filter.

I have 2 B+W filters that I bought off eBay but have color casts. They are 2 stops and 6 stops.

I have read that the 10 stops certainly have casts (all of them) so yeah .. not sure if I have is suppose to or not. I shoot film of course, so I wondered how you guys use a ND filter? I am stumped. Maybe is it to shoot 50 speed film and use a cheaper lens so I can stop all the way down to f/22 or f/32?

Many thanks.

2. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no neutral density filter or gray card are truly neutral,unfortunately.some ma nufacturers supply spectral sensitivity data to verify how neutral their product areto test an nd filter , you could take a picture of a color chartandcompare the filtration of different colors

3. rayonline_nz

rayonline_nz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you shot reversal film, your 6 stop filter shot is probably half a stop underexposed. Have your shutter speeds checked and make sure that aperture is set as you want it. I didn't see a color cast in your 2 stop filter shot; compare white building with white building.

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have heard and seen an example of the Lee Big stopper that has very little color cast; but they are expensive and hard to come by.

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a 6stop b+w and don't have any color issues. As Dan pointed out, your exposures don't match. Are you printing your slides on ilfochrome? No. Correct in post.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When ND filters are used for long exposures, some color correction may be required to compensate for reciprocity failure color shift.