Soligor 35mm f/3.5 enlarging lens?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Athiril, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I picked it up for less than $10 some time ago I think.. finally used it... I bought it because it was such an odd focal length, and that one day I might like trimming some ATP or 80s into 110 etc.

In any case, I made some crops from Rollei ATP with a Rodenstock 50mm and this lens.. at the same crop/print size, the Soligor seems noticeably sharper, (20x enlargement iirc), and asp at 30x enlargement (think it's 30x anyway), can start to see the grain on ATP at this size.. was just fiddling around out of curiosity.

Anyone have more info on this lens?

Funnily enough with the default light setup in the enlarger I was using it in, seems to cover 35mm wide open at smaller sizes, but with vignetting in the corners of the 35mm frame, but the circle is bigger. Stopped down may be alright for full frame printing.. larger sizes not sure, it projects off the base board.

2. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Athiril,

Not direct knowledge of the lens, but it seems likely that it was meant for 110 film. It should work with APS as well.

Neal Wydra

3. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm FL enlarging lenses were usually meant for 1/2 frame 35mm film.

Although Soligor was considered a bit of a budget lens, along with Vivitar, both firms produced (well, marketed) some very good lenses. The owner of the Soligor brand, Allied Impex [AiC], owned a few Japanese companies, notably Miranda, but it seems most Soligor lenses were made by Kowa or Tokina.