some c41 hexar af photos dev. in coffee and D76 1:1

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ampguy, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not the caffeinol recipe, but just D76 1:1 with half a film canister of finely ground coffee. About 13 minutes at 68 deg. F. Taken with a Hexar AF. 2 films were used, 1 was Reala 100, the other Fuji 400 Superia.

here

2. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While I like the color in some of the shots (was that added in PS?), I would worry about scratching the film during agitation.

3. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you scan a black and white negative as a colour negative, often you get that kinda colour. Well, on my scanner at least.
    Far better results than I got with my coffee experiments - very impressive stuff.

4. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Impressive. Can you give some more details? I've actuallly never tried C-41 film in B&W chemistry. Is it the B&W flow all the way (dev, stop, fix, rinse, rinse, rinse), or are any C-41 chemicals used after developing?

5. psvensson

psvensson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does the coffee do anything or is the development due to the D-76?

6. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks all, I've been processing mostly Reala 100 in D76 straight and 1:1, but scanning most to grayscale. I doubt the small amount of coffee did much developing, but may have taken some of the magenta out of some of the images.

Another thing I do is pre-wash for about a minute with water which always pours out slightly magenta and I count that in the development time. 1:1 D76 has been more consistent than straight, but one time I used straight, I got a very high contrast overblown look that I've been trying to replicate. I usually shoot Reala at ISO 50, and 200 and 400 films at + 2/3 EV. I just use a water stop, and do a hypo rinse at the end, with about 10 minutes rinse/soak with soft water.

Filtering the coffee is probably a good idea if the coffee isn't fine enough to completely dissolve.

7. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes

On my Epson scanner I pretty much have to scan as a color negative, otherwise it will often have reduced framing accuracy if I specify b/w negative. This is with output to grayscale, or to color. Not sure why this happens.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi ted

what kind of coffee did you use?
    instant works best when turning it into
    the various coffee based developers ( and costs very little )

are your negatives really dense with an orange mask?

thanks!

john

nice stuff!

9. ampguy

ampguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi John

Just espresso (very fine) ground from Costco coffee. I've read that dissolved instant is best for the caffeinol recipe, but I was just looking for a tone effect, not any developing effect from the coffee.

Depends on the film, but Reala often comes out brown and translucent but can give magenta hues when scanned as color to color.

But some Agfa C41 films can come out very purple and dense, unable to even read the frame # or see where to cut the negatives.

I don't think there's a generic C41 in D76 recipe, it depends on the film, pre-wash procedure, and I think the fixing has an effect on the resulting C41 negatives density and tone.

10. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    interesting photos, neat technique. That's either a huge kitty or a tiny person holding it.