Some guy processed film from 1968

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by EASmithV, Mar 26, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read that there are a few small operation services that do this, with the option to do only B&W for a better possibility of viewable results. Its always a shot in the dark with film exposed so long ago, you never know how it was handled, or left in what temps, or in areas of high radiation.

I somehow segued to film recovery whilst reading about Everest, and the summit attempt by Mallory and Irvine, and the possibility of recovery of the Kodak roll film camera they carried. There is a document written by a Kodak tech for the general handling of the camera and film if ever recovered. A very interesting read for anyone with a bit of time.

Edit for links:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=mount-everest-mystery

http://www.velocitypress.com/mallory_irvine.shtml#A127_Film

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That Mount Everest film doc was fascinating!

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have seen it before. I think that if I was in possession of the Everest film, I would just send it to Kodak for processing.

Steve.

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But you can't send film to Kodak anymore! those mailers are defunct!

I guess they would probably do it anyway. I wonder what combo they would use.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Two years ago I had some Kodachrome dated 1986 processed using the original envelope which came with the film.

I would expect them to take it on as a challenge (for no fee). Otherwise, Ilford would get to have a go at it.

Steve.

7. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a roll of Verichrome Pan in 620 dated from 1959. I'll shoot it in my Hawkeye Brownie. Also have a bulk roll of HP3 from July 1963. I bought it on a whim off eBay since that's my exact month and year of birth. Shot some at 25 and it came out alright!

8. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love moominsean! He is the one that taught me how to clean my Polaroid negatives. I follow his flickr stream as well.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I developed a roll that was exposed in 1959. It was exciting to get usable negatives from it. Although the content wasn't all that interesting, still it was great fun.

10. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I have several rolls of HP3 120 roll film that was exposed in 1952 and never developed! I did a clip test on one roll and managed to pull two images off the whole thing. It was badly fogged, the backing paper had merged with the film and had to be coaxed off, and I think it had caused a lot of chemical fogging. I will probably post a thread in the b&w section seeking ideas on how best to develop the other rolls. I also have some exposed, undeveloped glass plates from the same era.

11. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just developed a glass plate - Ilford, FP3 I think, shot in 1952. It came out as if it had been taken yesterday. Many more to go. I cannot post an image until I have a print, because I cannot scan medium format.

12. mattmoy_2000

mattmoy_2000 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Moominsean used Diafine, then 10 mins of C41 at 70F.
    I have tried using 20mins C41 dev at 20C with constant agitation (same film and age) and achieved slightly more colourful results.
    He says in the comments that not using the Diafine makes the images not as good, so I suspect that something that's absorbed from the Diafine accelerates the process somehow - although I'm not entirely sure what. Just doubling the time in the C41 developer seems to work fine too.

13. cinejerk

cinejerk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using some old Dupont superior 3 film that I think is from the 1950's. It's quite foggy but I'm getting usable images.
    This thread seems like it should be in the b&w forum.

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i processed a bunch of orth 116 film shot in the 1930s ...
    and used caffnenol, it worked OK ...
    and i got both useful and useless negatives from it ...