Some Reassuring News from Ilford!

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by jovo, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  2. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nice to hear, but ya got to think that if it came down to it and they couldn't pay their bills they'd be up the creek like all the rest. I guess business must be pretty good tho. That's good to hear.
    Btw, scroll down the page and look on the left about classic cameras being in high demand.

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IlfordPhoto have less alternative ways to go than the Big Three...

And as Wayne said, their way seems to pay off.

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Classic cameras are just so awesome! Glad to see reassurance from Ilford. I love their papers.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now if this thread had been about Kodak and a similar article, the thread would be filled with vulgar posts about how Kodak management did not know what they were doing, that the article was full of lies, and that Kodak could not be trusted.

So where are the negative posts about Ilford? Fair is fair, if you would be nasty about Kodak, have the balls to be nasty about Ilford or never post anything bad about Kodak again!

Steve

P. S. I have nothing against Ilford.

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I personally haven't bashed Kodak :smile: As many around here are porbably tired of me saying, I love Kodak.

7. w9cae

w9cae Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the past I have seen statements just like this from companies & days later they have done a complete turn around. Kodak are famous for this, that is why they basically have no company worth salvaging.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    steve

o, ok ...
    its too bad they canned pop centennial!

now that i got that overwith,
    i am happy to know ilford is doing OK ...

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ektagraphic, I did not mean you. That was aimed at the anti-Kodak, "I will not buy Kodak film" crowd.

10. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 1974, when I was 20 years old, my college job was at Disneyland. Film photography was in its glory years and I, wanting to record the behind-the-scenes activities of my coworkers and friends, decided to purchase a 35mm SLR.

Being a student, as were all of the other employees, I had little money. But while everyone else was buying Minolta SRT-101s and the like, I bit hard and bought a Nikon F2. Got the 55mm f/1.2 as well, since I worked a lot of night shifts.

After only a few weeks of use I came to the realization that this is what I wanted to do for fun. In fact, I knew then - that very first summer - that this was to be my retirement hobby. I have never waivered from that decision. Kodak has waivered. Fuji has waivered. Agfa has waivered. But I have not.

So I just want to say thanks to Mr. Brierley, Mr. Galley, the other managing directors, and all the employees at Ilford, for that commitment. It's not a guarantee of product availability forever. But it is a guarantee of their desire to provide product availability for the foreseeable future. That means a lot.

Why?

Because if circumstances eventually dictate that individual products must be killed, or black-and-white photography must die entirely, then I know that in Ilford's case it will have been as a last resort, not as a first resort. I know that you are not looking to eventually get out of the business, but rather to stay in it for as long as is possible.

You guys are the reason I continue to pour money into my darkroom, and purchase as much of your product as I can.

Ken

P.S. February 6 in the slideshow below is a photograph made with that same camera and lens I purchased in 1974...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010
  11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know....I was just making a point. It is dissapointing that the APUG people often bash these companies so much....We should be celebrating them and celebrating our craft!

12. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And just a couple month ago Fuji said it would be the last man standing.......Hope this statement works out, but the partners won't bleed to death before saying uncle. Neither would any of us.

Mike

13. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let us make one distinct point about Ilford, Kodak, and Fuji: Ilford actually COMMUNICATES with it's customers (and here, on APUG, at that!).

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still doesn't mean their business won't be in the toilet in 12 months (hope not as I use HP5+ in 4x5). I'm much more interested in how a product performs than listening to ads.

Mike

16. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pessimistic much?

17. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh really? Then the high quality film they still produce counts for nothing? Please!

18. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    AMEN! Fuji may have said they'd be the last man standing, but after discontinuing Neopan 400 I've lost all faith and no longer support them. I'm behind Ilford 100%. We should be greatful we have such a great company supporting us!

19. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has Neopan 400 been discontinued? I thought there was still some speculation on this mainly due to it being packaged differently and in certain markets. Anyway, I would hate to see any of the big three (Ilford, Kodak, Fuji) fold. I'm loyal to Ilford because they provide slow (Pan F+) and high speed (Delta 3200) films in 120 so a hefty portion of my film expenditures goes to these. Since I recently began shooting 135 again in the past year and a half, I've been going nuts buying up Arista Premium 400 and Legacy Pro 100 so at least some of my money is trickling back to Kodak and Fuji.

20. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is a comforting read. I just started a darkroom class and have made Delta 400 and DD-X my materials of choice.

21. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They discontinued 400PR in 120 format. Total loss to everyone and completely angering to most involved. It's similar to Kodak doing something like discontinuing 400TX in 120 (hypothetical) as Neopan is a bread and butter stock.

It's still available in 135 and an excellent film at that.

22. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have always used Ilford and will continue to do so, I support people who support my vision of photography, others don't really matter.:wink:

Good luck Ilford, hang on!

23. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm probably way out of the loop on this, but whatever happened to Kentmere Bromide graded paper? Is it still available? Was it discontinued? Was it stillborn during a reformulation?

I don't recall seeing any official announcement anywhere. But nobody seems to be carrying it anymore. At least in anything resembling a full range. I do recall a press release from a year or so ago extolling the virtues of improved avenues of distribution to North America, and Bromide was explicitly mentioned.

Was I asleep at the switch on this one?

Ken

24. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have always used Ilford and will continue to do so, I support people who support my vision of photography (analog), other companies don't really matter that much, after all, I'm a FILM user.:wink:

Good luck Ilford, hang on!

25. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Put on your codpieces and grab your bayonets for off to the fray we go!

26. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a fantastic quote :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.