some strange color cast/results.

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by Sapphirephoenix2, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Sapphirephoenix2

Sapphirephoenix2 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi, I've been shooting some constructed cameras that for all intensive purpouses are pinhole cameras. I have started using a regular pinhole camera with a 4x5 back and shooting both color positive and color negative film. I've developed them with c41 so they colors shift or they come out normally. The film I use is both old and new.

My question arrived when I turned in some film, and all the film has orange casts to them. The ones with the most cast whch are almost completely orange/red. I have been scanning and editing the colors in photoshop but these past ones are beyond changing.

Is my problem just the film or is it something else I am doing? The film with the most issue is with porta 100T film. I dont think its really an issue, the images came out very interesting. More a curiosity of the color shifts.

2. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you put the film in with the emulsion facing the pinhole? If you expose it through the base it will come out with a very strong red or orange cast.

3. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you using C41 chemistry for BOTH color negative AND color trransparency film? If so, the color transparency should require E-6 chemistry. Check the film package.

Processing C41 in E6 chemistry, or vice versa, *will* give unusual results - this is known as cross processing.

The "T" at the end would indicate that the film color is "balanced" for artifcial (Tungsten) lighting. Using it in "daylight" should give you a heavy cyan (bluish) cast - but using the wrong chemistry (cross processing) ... I really don't have any idea of what it would look like.

5. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The color shifts with reciprocity. The further you get to reciprocity failure the further the shift of color.

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes tungsten film will give an orange cast to all your images unless they're shot indoors under tungsten light. BTW I know people who will pay for that Portra 100T or trade daylight film for it.