Some weird films

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by drazak, Apr 14, 2009.

1. drazak

drazak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, a couple months ago, Stephanie Brim sent me a bunch of film, I have some weird film here. Does anyone know about IR820c? What about Ultratek? There seems to be a roll of Panatomic-X that's either exposed or has had the leader rolled back into it. Any ideas on the IR films?

Ben

2. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IR820c is Maco. Much greater IR sensitivity than, say, SFX200. Use anything from deep red to IR opaque for the best effect.

Panatomic-X is pretty slow, like 32 or 25 iso, so probably still viable. You need to do a clip test to see if it has been shot: Pull tongue out (or crack the canister) and develop the first 6 inches or so. If images, develop the rest, if not, shoot the rest.

Never heard of Ultratek.

3. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IR820c seems to be the most popular IR film currently in production. I've used some but I'm not a huge fan of the IR effect on my own photos... that's another discussion for another thread though.

4. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the IR820c a lot, but people seem to have wildly varying experiences with it. I shoot it at about EI 6-12 through an R72 filter, which is already pushing the limits for handholding---some people find they have to rate it several stops slower than that.

Lately I've been processing it in Diafine, which controls the highlights a bit and makes IR landscapes look a bit more "normal" to my eye.

-NT

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ben,

Are there any more informations on that "Ultratek" cartridge?

6. drazak

drazak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    SilverHalide;

No, it's a kalt casette that says ultratec (I typed it wrong before,) no other markings, but the film almost looks like undeveloped c41 film, the same antihalation backing colour.

Ben

7. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha---I googled this spelling and found that it was a Kodak graphic-arts film. There was also an Ultratec developer---I don't know if it was a low-contrast developer intended for using the film pictorially. It looks like people have shot it at about EI 6.

-NT