Somebody stop me - I'm about to cause my own divorce!!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BruceN, Aug 11, 2005.

1. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there,

"Somebody stop me - I'm about to cause my own divorce!!"

Why, either you are her prince charming or you're not, good time to find out.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/4X5-ZONE-VI-WOO...1QQcmdZViewItem"

Very nice kit and a great start, go for it. Just don't tell her 'money's meant to be spent'.

Have fun with it, it's a fine camera.

3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    About as nice as they get! $ in the bank really. I know, I'm not helping at all. :D

4. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, and if it stayed right there I might actually think about risking it, but with 9 days to go there ain't much chance of that. I'll just play with the old Meridian I'm restoring for now - it deserves the attention. But next year... :smile:

5. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    You gonna let that baby slip away?! Must be a hell of a woman!

6. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

STOP! PUT DOWN THE MOUSE, PUT YOUR HANDS UP, AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER... SLOWLY!

--the ebay intervention cops

7. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    heheheheheh "Honest ossifer, I wuz just lookin'! I wasn't gonna post a bid! Ya gotta believe me!!"

8. Brian Bullen

Brian Bullen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bruce,
    Just buy it without her knowing and then tell her later. Sure you'll get into a big fight but after the argument just say I promise I won't do it again honey. Then you'll have the camera and she'll feel like you've learned a valuable lesson :smile:

9. mark

mark Member

There's lots of women out there. :D

10. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No, I won't help you save your marriage. In fact, I'm encouraging you to bid right now and bid high.

By doing so, you will save my marriage because I won't be tempted .... :smile:

11. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

My friend had a mighty fight with his wife and while they were incomunicado he he felt justified in buying himself he wanted. When they made up , he had himself a cool new mountain bike. Actually, as I remember, he did prudently leave it at my place for a couple of weeks after they re-united :rolleyes:

12. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know what the laws are in Wyoming, but here in PA if you bought that camera and the marriage ended, half of it would be hers. Just another thing to think about from someone who had a very expensive divorce. :smile:

13. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bruce,

If you want to be able to buy nice cameras and keep your wife you need a plan. But you need time to execute so be patient.

First, take up a very expensive hobby that your wife does not like, say sailing, and insist that she particpate so the two of you can spend more quality time together. Buy the most expensive boat you can afford, say something like a 40' Cape Dory, and spend as much time with her on the boat as possible. You will know you are in a winning position when/if she really begins to hate sailiing, as most women will, especially if you sail a lot in the middle of the day in very hot climates and don't have a bimini.

Next, when it is clear that she is perfectly miserable sailing, but too proud to say so, you tell her that for her sake you are going to get rid of the boat and give up sailing.

Your wife will be so happy with this decision that she will gladly let you buy every camera you want for the rest of your life, and be delirously happy that you are involved in photography and not sailing

Worked for me.

Course, there are some gals out there that really love to sail! I was just lucky to not be living with one of them.

Sandy

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The solution is simple, buy it and have it sent to a friends house. Take it apart and bring a piece at the time while announcing you are going to "build" yourself a camera. ยท weeks later you can show her your master piece.. :smile:

16. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A very devious and ingenious plan Jorge! :smile:

17. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy, you sly dog, you :cool:

18. burn1138

burn1138 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    you know 50% percent of all marriages end up in divorce these days anyhow.

19. Graeme Hird

Graeme Hird Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ... and 100% of all divorces begin with marriage.

20. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Thinking about my last post, I believe that I have come up with a solution. Why don't you go ahead and buy it and have it sent over to me? Then, after you have gently broken the news to your wife, (two or three years should give her enough time to ease into accepting the idea), I can send it right on over to you. :smile:

21. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Incredible, I can't believe the amount of trouble you are all going to!!! lol

During a big tiff with my hubby I went and bought myself a 5 week holiday around Europe (I live in Australia). That was the best argument we ever had! :D

I didn't buy my holiday behind his back, I rang dear hubby from the travel agent as I was handing over the money, asking him if he wanted a ticket too, he had 10 seconds to decide and had no idea where he was going. lol We had the best holiday.

To buy a camera, if it's going to bring you dollars... she should be happy about that. Don't buy an expensive gift for yourself secretly. Breaking someone's trust over money can be as hard to recover from as being unfaithful. Compromise with something for her to make her feel special as well.

PS: and by the way, I do like sailing!!!

22. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So, you didn't way whether he accepted your offer. Was it a wonderful holiday with your husband, or a wonderful holiday from your husband?!? :surprised:

23. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, he came with me. I took him around Rome, Amalfi Coast, Venice and Germany to catch up with relatives and then he went home and I went to Paris. :D
    Dear hubby couldn't stay as long because of lack of babysitters. The children had to stay home. Can't miss school of course. :wink:

24. chiller

chiller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Man or mouse???

What type of petticoat government are you under? :smile:

If you have to ask for moral support here --- maybe, just maybe you aren't experienced enough or equipped for this level of domestic negotiation.

If it doesn't take food off the table or get you into strife with outstanding bills AND you need it not just want it -- then go for it.

From someone who has survived a heart attack I have to tell you this you cannot take it with you.

Me -- I already have one so nah!!!! I don't NEED it.

25. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well Bruce, if you have a few more cameras like that one and a nice darkroom, I'll marry you!

I don't have a husband anymore but I have lots of cameras and photo gear :wink:

(Please send pictures of camera and darkroom.)

:D

26. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    My other half just talked me into buying a 54 enlarger!

At least thats how I see it: She comes home on day and tells me the guy at the local lab is selling one... then sugguests we go round and see it... then arranges for me to go round and collect/pay for it... then she pulls the switch and points out I just blew all that money on a new enlarger! Any sugguestion that I was pushed is definiatly forbidden.

I cunningly got myself a few momments breathing space by diving into one of my many piles of junk and pulling out a 110 neg carrier which fits the new enlarger perfectly . She's a Pentax A110 fan - I'd had the carrier for years, saving it for just such an occasion, so I'd look good!!.

Now my 54 enlarger is her 110 enlarger (albeit slightly overkill :smile:), she's talking of a new project of LARGE prints, I'm broke, and in trouble for spending all the money... I think I was connned :smile:

It is a nice enlarger though...

Maybe it's better if your wife isn't interested in your photography

Ian