Sometimes I get a little "star struck"

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Katie, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A heads up for those that have never done such, for those that are new here, or those that are "sorta" new here ...

If you have a favorite artist, photographer, printer, etc... just try doing a search for their name and you'll likely see a post where they in fact have contributed! I am always amazed by this site and the plethora of information here - and super excited when I see someone I admire actually posting here. It's like seeing your favorite movie star at your local grocery store!

That's all. I just get excited sometimes. :smile:

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is surprising who turns up here every-so-often. Although in the past on APUG certain characters have turned up for a while and then either disappeared off or been suspended by the administrators. Being well known does not always ensure good behaviour...

Tom

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just be careful who you admire on these forums. There was a photographer on this forum and another whose work I REALLY admired and always wanted to emulate. He was a real talented guy but he was a rude, insulting, crude, and mean-spirited person. He may have also been a crook. But he was really talented... and if I mention his name I'll likely get banned.

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    p.s. The amount of talent at this site is phenomenal.

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actual this may sound like sucking up/brown nosing but one of my heroes is a regular.
    He is a retired Kodak engineer and is extremely generous with his huge knowledge.

Go Ron!

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 P.E. is my hero.

7. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree, Katie. In fact, I've discovered some of my favorite contemporary photographers in the Gallery. Without APUG, there's a good chance I'd never have discovered their work.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are several here whom I admire greatly, and a couple of others I consider siblings, the "brother from another mother" thing.

9. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I do appreciate ALL of the members here - talented or not.
    I lived on the street in LA for a while in my younger wilder days and something another soul told me during those days has stuck with me all these years, "We all put our pants on one leg at a time".

10. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, there are some serious talents in here, both as artists and artisans. Many incredibly helpful and nice guys and gals. I have a lot to thank them for, both technically and artistically.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are some people who let success get to their heads, but I think the really serious artists are too focused on their work to worry about celebrity.

I was at a party last week at a publishing house focused mainly on journalism and human rights, and a writer/photographer came in and walked up to a few of us and said, "let me introduce you to a friend of mine. He's a photographer, Bruce Davidson," and I'm thinking, "wow, I'm finally at one of those New York parties people talk about all the time," but what a completely informal, unassuming guy. I asked him what he was working on, and he said he was producing a solo show for the Boston MFA, and talked about how it was great to work with the young, independent-minded curators there, and he said he was working on another project in LA, but felt he needed to find a local writer to collaborate with, so he wouldn't come off as an "East Coast snob."

If he didn't have that kind of accessible, easy-going personality, he probably couldn't do the kind of documentary work he does.

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That kind of attitude is worth a million bucks!

BTW.. when David A Goldfarb writes, I genuflect. Please don't let that go to your head! :D

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have always been heartened by the humbleness and directness of APUG people like PE, Ralph Lambrecht, and others.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Crashbox

Crashbox Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +2.

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the hero worshipping leads people up blind alleys as they automatically assume the posters are always right, and the lack of rigourous questioning compounds the errors.

Ian

17. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow... very cool David. I saw him speak a couple years ago in New Orleans, and he seems like a very down to earth photographer who was quite generous with his knowledge. I'm looking forward to seeing his show in Boston.

18. Crashbox

Crashbox Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How true. There is a member here who used to work for the same employer I do, and I met him back when I worked in Seattle many moons ago. Total surprise. I won't say who, but he may in fact be retired and out practicing Australian right-hand turns on his Webster cycle (only a traffic signal engineer would get that one)...

This is a truly outstanding forum IMO to both learn and share information. I've learned a fair amount from numerous members in the short time I've been here, and I was actually able to help someone else out a few days ago from prior darkroom experience I had. Always feels great when you can give back something to the community.

I've said enough, I'll shut up for now.

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As well as changes in active members, the ambience of APUG seems to subtlety change over time.

Tom

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a legend in my own lunchtime :laugh:.

21. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not sure why any successful photographer would feel the need to be arrogant on a forum made up of mostly hobbyists, but often, those concerned with technique and science don't get on with the artists.
    The person who commented about wanting to 'emulate' a photographer may not understand that this person could have spent his whole life developing his style, technique and art. His rudeness may have been a reaction to somebody trying to find out his secrets. In the same way, those concerned with photography as an exact science may be rude to very talented photographic artists with great eyes, natural ability with a camera, but lacklustre technique. The 'scientists' might be miffed that all their time spent learning the science hasn't paid off so much in terms of compelling photography.

This is without a doubt the best resource for the craft, with lots of very knowledgeable people always willing to share, but the artists tend to get what they need from APUG and carry on with their voyage into expressive photography.

22. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be me of whom you write. Yes, I understand quite well why this person was a jerk. It had little to do with attempts (real or perceived) to steal secrets, but more with poor choices in life, bad luck, and a hostile personality because of who-knows-what. But your comments are good thoughts to keep in mind. People certainly are motivated differently and react differently depending on their motivation and past experience.

23. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aww, I really want to know who it is. Can you give us an initial at least?

24. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope, sorry... can't and won't.

25. batwister

batwister Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But yeah, it's basically a mistake to think that all photographers are affable humanitarians, they may even respond better to banter than adulation! I've never believed in the idea that the best people make the best artists either, their personalities, ideals and humour vary as much as people in a pub. As someone else mentioned, those working with people do tend to have a great deal of humility.

EDIT: In terms of banter, I don't mean "Mr. Weston, you certainly like to chase tail don't ya?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  26. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lots of great replies here - I am glad others feel this way too!

I would like to add that I think there is a HUGE difference in admiring someone's craft - and admiring someone as a person. There are several famous people today that I admire as a professional ____________, but this doesn't mean that I think they are necessarily "role model" material. This seems to be a prevalant problem with the younger generation today; wanting to emulate people that maybe they admire for "something", but shouldn't necessarily admire for who they are. All young girls see someone pretty, and while it's fine to want to emulate their look, trying for their personality and social habits is usually a very bad idea. If you want a role model, most people don't have to look very far from their hometown folks at the local church, charity organizations, or sometimes in their living room. :smile:

I admire several on here for the work they produce, and while I don't know WHO they are as a person; would still never expect a Mother Theresa attitude to accompany a true artistic mind. Most artists think and behave quite different from so-called "regular" folks - or better stated, what everyone thinks people "should" act like. I believe artists are more prone by nature to social akwardness (for lack of a meaner phrasing) than others, simply due to the fact that their mind is usually fixated on things others simply don't understand. I would never expect anyone to act a certain way just because they happen to be brilliant at something ... unless the certain thing they are brilliant at happens to be humanity.

Being good, and being a good person are vastly different things. Some can be one or the other, and there are very few that are both.