Sometimes things just fall in your lap -- like a Noct-Nikkor

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Trask, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    So I'm looking through some websites where cameras are bought and sold, and came across an ad that at first I could not believe, and then quickly decided to take the plunge as GAS hit again: a black Nikon F#6422XXX with an F2 DE-1 prism and (hard to believe) a 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor -- for $299.

Of course, until the camera arrived I imagined the worst: scratched lens, haze and fungus, inoperative body, etc. In fact, the lens is very clean, thanks in part to a Nikon filter on the front. And the body works OK, could use a CLA given that it's about 50 years old now. You'll see that I don't have a Nikon nameplate on the camera, as someone must have removed the original black one long ago. I do have the chrome one for the F2, but removed it because the prism really doesn't fit with it attached (despite what others have found the case to be). And you'll note that the back is actually a chrome-trim back, not black, but I really don't mind as what with the chrome back and prism I get sort of a panda look.

If anyone has a black Nikon F nameplate they'd like to sell onwards, or a black back, let me know. I actually wouldn't mind getting a true black Nikon F prism if one floated by, but I know those are not common.

Just by way of cost vs. resale value, this isn't the best deal I ever found -- once I bought a Polaroid 195 for $2 at a "brocante" in Belgium. But a $3000 lens for under $300, not bad.

Attached Files:

2. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate you.
    Nice lens.

3. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate you more than he hates you.
    Really nice lens.

:wink:

Ken

4. cyrano55

cyrano55 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Incredible! You lucky,lucky ******* said in a Monty Python style. Good going.

5. jjphoto

jjphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WTF and OMG! Congrats.

6. Morituri

Morituri Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Making a forum post just to gloat in front of other people "haha look how much money I made from this item I bought and sold" is of such a pathetic taste. I wouldn't even think for a second to make a post as such. Some people man...

7. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see a problem with it. The seller got his asking price. The buyer got a good deal. And we all get to share a bit in the buyer's staggeringly good fortune. Everybody wins here.

I only hate him because I'm so happy for him.

Ken

8. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well done - enjoy your lens. I hope you make some amazing photos with it.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow nice find. I kinda like the sterile looking prism cover. If you can fill in the holes with something it would be even cooler.

10. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just to respond to Morituri -- I thought quite a while before posting this. The main reason I did it is because, in my present circumstances, there is not one person around me who would appreciate the lens or even understand why I was so pleased to come across it. There's no one I can talk to about cameras here, anymore than there is anyone to discuss single-ended amplifiers or the merits of 6SN7s. That's one great benefit to me of the Internet -- that I can communicate with people who understand my hobbies. I didn't post to gloat, anymore than the guy who found a Nikon SP in an antique store did it to gloat IMHO. I just wanted to reach out to some folks who might (A) understand my pleasure and (B) be encouraged by the fact that this sort of thing can happen to anyone. And that $2 Polaroid camera? That was over a decade ago, and I didn't post about that, so it's not as if I'm filling your inbox with my gloating. I'm sorry that you took such a negative view of what Lady Luck sent my way.

11. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You must have gotten a "real" shooters camera. Someone who did some serious PJ work I would imagine. Nice find! Keep it and shoot it, let the vibe do it's magic.

12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great!

Jeff

13. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It is an interesting amalgam of bits. I didn't mention that the body has a motor plate installed; as the back is chrome and doesn't match the black body, I'm wondering if someone initially used this body with an F36 motor drive (which comes with an attached back) and when they stopped using it they just grabbed another regular back and kept on shooting. Of course the lens is much newer; it's an AIS model so, what?, maybe 15 years newer than the body? I get the impression that the DE-1 was a much later addition put on by someone who really wasn't familiar with Fs and F2s, because they had left the "NIKON" nameplate on the DE-1 despite the fact that that kept it from fitting properly, so they loosened the screws on the nameplate so it could sort of flex outward. Kludgy -- you'd be likely to lose the nameplate or damage the camera. First thing I did is remove the nameplate. The prism still doesn't want to seat properly toward the front of the camera; there's a small gap visible, but I can focus readily so I'm not going to force anything. I have a regular F prism back home, so when I get there in June I'll swap it in to see how it fits.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think Morituri's response was tongue in cheek but obviously hard to see it on a webpost.

No I don't think it is gloating at all and can understand what you mean by being able to share it with others who can appreciate what this all means. Gloating would be to post a whole website full of every angle shot of it. Let us know the link to that site too . . . :whistling:

16. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ignore the obviously jealous posters. Congrats and have fun! I'll take this moment to "gloat" about my barely used Nikon 9000 I got for $1000 a couple years ago. :smile:

17. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The chrome prism is from an F2, and fairly rare. So sell the chrome F2 prism to pay for the other "repairs" like a CLA and F prism. And Congrats!

18. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm envious (and I hate you too :wink: ) - but quite glad you shared your story. You seem the type to put this lens to good use, which is nice to see.

I mean, the lens is wasted in your bag. :wink:

Seriously... enjoy, and thanks for sharing your story!

19. SamSpade1941

SamSpade1941 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you really suck.. :D Seriously congrats that is an awesome find , truly a once in a lifetime deal. Sadly had I found it I would probably sell it just because I am broke and need the cash. Thats awesome.

20. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You would have used it for a week or three first - and had memories for a lifetime, at a minimum. :smile:

21. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a black back in my parts box.
    Are you in the US?

22. jumbosilverette

jumbosilverette Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also read Morituri's response as being tongue in cheek; it was exceptionally well-worded. Congratulations to the OP, fabulous lens.

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would only be in bad taste if Trask didn't attribute his good fortune to, well, good fortune.

Have fun with it.

24. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *sigh*

Someday I'll find that treasure chest full of camera goodies. Someday.

Fantastic find my friend. Mind sharing what this site was that you were browsing?

25. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What are these "some websites where cameras are bought and sold"?

I hate you as well :smile:

26. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first ever camera was a Nikon F2. I bought it with the regular 55mm f/1.2 lens. I was in college (late 70s) and working at Disneyland on mostly low-seniority night shifts for tuition money and rent. I sometimes kept the camera locked in an unused maintenance locker in an underground tunnel near the giant waterfall pumps directly beneath the Matterhorn mountain.

After my night shifts ended I would sometimes retrieve the camera and wander around both the onstage (where the guests were allowed) and backstage (employees only) areas making pictures of friends and places and whatever else was interesting.

I desperately wanted a Noct-NIKKOR. But I couldn't afford even a grey market one, so I learned to live with those ugly off-axis point source coma-blobs of light. It was terrible, as I could think of no one more in need and deserving of that lens than me. But I never got one.

This is why I hate you...

:wink:

And here's a supposedly brand new one available today for a smooth US$5,262.40 (on sale at the time of this post, marked down from the regular price of $5,980.00). They do offer free shipping, however.

This is why I'm happy for you....

:smile:

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013