Sorry...another 8x10 question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by luvmydogs, Aug 18, 2005.

1. luvmydogs

luvmydogs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How much does your 8x10 weigh? Is 11 pounds reasonable? I don't plan on going on long hikes, but would like to hike a little with my cameras. FWIW, I'm very active and relatively fit, but am not a big woman (5'8" and 115 lbs).

Still assessing the 8x10 vs 5x7 thing!

Thanks for putting up with my ignorant questions!

2. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Toyo 810 M @15 Lbs.

3. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a V-8 'Dorff. It's about 13 lbs. The 4x5/5x7 'Dorff is 6.75 lbs. Anything more than a mile, I go to a 4x5 Horseman HD. 3.74 lbs. But then I'm over 55. Sigh.

If I had a 5x7 enlarger, 5x7 would be my main format. Nice Pt./Pd. contacts plus super enlargements. Truth is, I'm looking for a Zone VI type II. Cheap and close.

4. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a couple of 8X10 Deardorffs. I don't find them to be difficult to use even though I am over sixty. I wouldn't think of hiking a mile with them today considering the film holders, lenses, and tripod.

I used 12X20 for about a year and found that was more then I wanted to handle.

I do have a 5X7 enlarger and would probably consider that to be the ideal format even though I don't have a 5X7 camera at present. I do have 4X5 and can make 11X14 enlargements from 4X5 that rival any 8X10 contact that I have ever made.

A lot depends on what you are wanting to do. If you want to make contacts then 8X10 may be your best choice. If you want to make prints larger then 8X10 then a different format would be more appropriate. If you want to climb mountains then smaller is better.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My 8x10" Gowland PocketView is about 6-7 lbs, which is about the same as my Linhof Tech V 4x5". With the 8x10" the holders will catch up to you quickly.

The 8x10" Sinar P is staying home on its stand, thank you very much.

6. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    don't have a clue what any of mine weigh...should find out sometime. But the 8x10 Korona feels lighter than the 5x7 (4x5) B&J, but that is really not the problem..it would be the film holders, tripod, head that start to add weight - IMO. Jeremy and I spent the better part of a day lugging the B&J (his and mine) around a state park not so long ago. Had mine in a LowePro backpak, plus a seperate bag with film holders, and the tripod on a sling. After a few hours I know I was wish it all weighed a bit less...but then would not say I was in the best shape. That said, I would not hesitate to do the same thing with the 8x10 if I had a pack it would fit in. The question should be do you want to contact print or enlarge...I find that for me all 3 formats fit, it just depends on what I am doing and how I see the final image (I know that does not help - but now you can see why I have all 3 formats)

7. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    8x10 Bender weights about 4-5lbs.

Calumet 8x10- 13-15lbs.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone!

The thing is, I want to start off with contact prints, because frankly, my husband will KILL me if I bring another enlarger home. My darkroom currently has a Beseler 23 already, and there simply wouldn't be anymore room for another enlarger.

9. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Before I bought my 810M I broke down and packed a Toyo 810G rail camera @ 19.6 lbs. Those were short hikes.

10. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Wehman 8x10 weighs about 8.5 pounds. I carry it in a Kelty Redwing 3100 internal frame backpack (along with my filmholders, BlackJacket, lenses, etc). I often carry it 2-5 mles in the mountains (and I'm 70).

11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take a look @ wehmancamera.com. Someone posted this the other day. Might not be too bad.

12. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ebony SV810, about 11 lbs.

Steve

13. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just another thought…

No matter what format you get..5x7 or 8x10…you will eventually want to enlarge. When that time comes, you could trade the Beseler 23C for a Beseler 45, with the 8x10 conversion. Then you would still have only one enlarger. And at current prices for enlargers, it wouldn’t be that expensive.

But for now, if you want contacts, I’d go for the 8x10 camera. 5x7 contacts are just too small.

14. luvmydogs

luvmydogs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks all!

Tom, I have to say that is most impressive. Is that a bag I can find at a place like B&H? I'm going to do some research on bags, etc.

Steve, if I recall correctly, you also have the Ebony SV57U, right? If so, do you find that you miss the asymmetrical tilts when using the 810?

15. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can find the Kelty Redwing Backpacks at many backpacking or mountaineering stores. Don't think B&H carries them.

Mountain Sports is an online source I have used. The Kelty Redwing 3100 is $89.95 including USA shipping. Search on Kelty Redwing. I don't know if they accept Canadian orders.

http://www.mountainsports.com/MSmain.asp?Option=List&ShowImages=Yes

REI is another good source - also online.

16. Calamity Jane

Calamity Jane Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My ancient 8x10 flatbed with the Symmar 500mm mounted weighs 10.25 Lbs. I think the lens accounts for about 2 Lbs!

If a picture was worth a tough hike thru the wilderness, I would take the 8x10. If it were just the possibility of getting a picture, I'd take the 4x5

17. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have the Wehman 8x10, and I put it in the f64 8x10 bag along with two lenses, 5 filmholders, lightmeter, loupe and darkcloth. I have done a couple of 2-3 hours walks with this setup and it`s no problem at all, the f64 fits me wery good, and I`m a small guy, 166 centimeters....

18. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an SV45U, and yes I miss the asymmetric swing and tilt on the rear. I had one, but I found that because of the design the camera was unusably stiff when you tilted it over and tried to use the asymmetric swing - it would rotate the camera on a Ries A100 rather than swing, and others have noted this too. So I ended up with a mint SV810 with 5x7 and 4x5 backs i found on eBay at a nice price.

Steve