Soulful Black & White Portrait Photography Workshops with Nicole Boenig McGrade

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by Nicole, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2010 Soulful Fine Art Black & White Portraiture Photography Workshops with Nicole Boenig McGrade.

Perth | Sydney | Melbourne | Brisbane | Cairns
    35mm | 120 roll film | digital | professionals | keen amateurs

Join Nicole for a full day of interactive, hands-on workshop to explore the art of natural light portraiture and how to create emotive, soulful portraits.

* Wed, 2 June 2010 - Melbourne (Bookings Close 7 May)
    * Fri, 9 July 2010 - Brisbane (Bookings Close 9 June)
    * Fri, 16 July 2010 - Cairns (Bookings Close 9 June)
    * Fri, 29 Oct 2010 - Melbourne (Bookings Close 1 Oct)

For more information please visit the website, blog or Facebook Page.

For international workshop details please contact Nicole Boenig McGrade.

Feedback / Comment from 29 Jan 2010 Sydney Workshop:
    "I just wanted to thank you for such an amazing and inspirational day! I can't remember your exact wording, but in the morning you asked us what key things in our lives had influenced our photography - I can't remember exactly what I said now either, but I know that hopefully when we meet again in the future and you ask me the same question, I will say "your workshop on the 29th of January 2010"! You inspired me in so many ways. Since your workshop I have concentrated much more on getting the perfect exposure rather than tweaking later on my computer. I am also far less concerned about the grey overcast days as like you said I should, I feel very lucky to be in London where I can shoot all through the day! So, thank you very, very much! It was extremely interesting to watch you work and I found that you balanced the theory and practice extremely well. Outside of all of this, I liked you so very much as a person - you have a beautiful strength and vulnerability about you, which is very endearing. I look forward to attending another of your courses when I am next in Australia!
    A. Fraser (London, UK)

2. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How can one teach the "soulful" aspects of portraiture photography? It's about subject approach/relation - not about exposure or even a camera really. The power of natural light is basic photography and not tied directly to portraiture by any means. The best light in the world won't gain one intimacy in a photograph unless the right subject relation is there and this isn't easy to teach objectively. Some general points would be on respect, communication, and listening skills - making the subject(s) feel comfortable and anticipation of the moment. None of it really relates directly to photography.

3. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think if teaching respect and communication etc. helps the student get the picture he or she wants, it's related to photography.

If I were a bit closer Nicole, I'd attend.

The picture two little girls hugging is especially touching.

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm wondering about the motivation behind your post... ??

I'll disagree.

One may not be able to teach "soulfulness" in photography (I'd like to see proof of that), but certainly it CAN be "investigated" and there is every indication, from a study of Nicole's work, that she is qualified to lead that, or any study, into that area.

"None of `it' really relates directly ... ?? I've pondered this extensively ... ALL of this, and much much more "relates", either directly or indirectly (what is the difference in effect ?) to photography.

What leads you to assume that "respect, communication, listening skills" - or anytthing else will be left out of her workshop/s ?

If I was closer, as well, I would most assuredly attend one of these.

5. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Clayne, I just visited your public profile, and I see you have no images posted. Unlike you, Nicole has many images posted (maybe a few too may today :tongue: specifically), and she has a track record, a body of work and she is willing to put it out there. I have no time for anyone who is critical of someone else who is willing to share their knowledge (especially when so well qualified), while they themselves don't appear to even share their images on this site.

So either put up and explain why your are qualified to a) comment on the content of Nicole's course which you have no way of knowing b) provide a positive testimonial similar to the one Nicole has from someone about your contribution to teaching portraiture who has not only enjoyed the course but would like to return

Otherwise....please refrain from being so negative.

As a footnote, I know exposure, but I would still go to one of Nicole's courses just in the hope that some of her magic rubs off on me....and I actually aint that bad myself :D

K

6. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Beautiful Art!

Love the photographs!

I wish I could attend. Maybe someday.

I'm always learning. It is wonderful of someone to open up heart & soul, offering to help. Education is more important for my art than equipment. For equipment I believe simple is better!

Best to Your Success Nicole with your classes. Will you offer any during our winter here in Minnesota? Gosh, that would a long flight but well worth it!

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if it can be taught, but one has to be able to do it before one can teach it, and I'll tell you, Nicole can do it. Her images and her style are wonderful. That combined with her fantastic personality (yes, I do know her), is a recipe for success. Attend if you can! Save the money, hell, borrow the money. She is great and so are her images. If you attend, maybe a little bit of her telent will rub off.

8. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    However, did you check the link in my signature?

This is not an advertising spot - people are allowed to question some things. The only reason I even responded to this thread was due to the emphasis (atleast in the initial blurb) on exposure - and additionally a perceived direction of arranged moment portraiture, i.e. photo sessions as opposed to showing up somewhere with a camera and illiciting feeling through relation to subjects and immersion. The purpose was to point out that "soul" in photography has very little to do with the technicalities of photography itself. Basically what I'm saying is that perhaps part of the aspect of Nicole, as a photographer, is herself and approach - and not how the camera or light is used.

Yes, I've seen your work and it is quite good. You're also one of my flickr contacts.

9. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nicole,

Yes, I do the same! I have even traveled a wee bit for gigs taking place in other parts of this blue planet.

Will you be offering any classes from January to April time frame? It's a little slower here in Minnesota during those months. Time for a photography class or a cruise!

Thanks! Have a great week.

10. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Johnny, Ed, Kal, Bill and Ralph thank you!

clayne, I appreciate what you are saying, but for me, my work is all about soul and emotion. My photographic journey started pretty much with someone saying to me "women will never make good photographers, because they are too emotional". That comment left a big mark on how I work today and therefore I am grateful for his ... remark. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM or email me directly, or maybe even start a separate thread on APUG to discuss your questioning the connection.

Bill, I travel quite a bit with my photography and workshops - and go whereever there is enough interest to warrant a trip. :smile: April could work.

11. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best of luck with this series, Nicole, and may your students learn much from you (if they are fortunate)...

12. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clayne, No I had not seen your signature, so I guess on that front, I owe you an apology about the availability of your images for comment.....so here is something rarely heard from me , sorry :D

I do however treat the workshop section of the forums as effectively advertising, since it is where most members either post details of their own workshops, or workshops they recommend. Anyway, you are free to decide whether you believe Nicole's work has soul or not and as you say to express your view, but I do believe she offers something very special in her images, regardless of what word is chosen or the context of the images.

Either way, Nicole is the one who may have fealt the injured party, but in her usual manner she has been very kind in her response....

My comment on the quality of my photography was tongue in cheek, and I appreciate you having me as a Contact on flickr (though I suspect that may have just ended :tongue:)

Rgds, Kal

13. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Please post if your interest focuses on visiting the US.I'd find the time/money for a workshop.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Keith.

Martin, it looks like I'll be running workshops in the US in spring of 2011.

16. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Workshops in 2011 - USA & EUROPE

Here are some details for the USA & EUROPE workshops for 2011

* Boston : USA (more locations to come)
    * Venice : Italy
    * Klagenfurt | Salzburg : Austria
    * Berchtesgaden | Duesseldorf | Berlin : Germany
    * Paris : France
    * London : UK

If you'd like more information, please visit the website and register your interest now.

17. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "PORTRAITS IN PARIS" photography workshop with Nicole Boenig McGrade & Carla Coulson

I am very excited to announce, the very talented, Australian born - Paris based photographer, Carla Coulson, will be joining me in teaching a unique "Portraits In Paris" Photography Workshop - in Paris, France in 2011.

Carla Coulson has many published works including her own beautiful and inspiring books, Italian Joy and Paris Tango. If you are not already familiar with her photography, please visit Carla Coulson's website and blog.

Details will continuously be updated on the NBM website and blog.

Register your interest now via email or phone +61 417 189 169 (GMT+8hrs).

18. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Nicole,
    I'd love to attend but I'm clearly too far away. Hopefully you get to the US at some point :smile:

19. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have mail Nicole.Thanks.

20. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boston????? Ears perk up.... :D

21. swittmann

swittmann Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nicole, when will you be in Berlin? Do you have any exact dates yet?

Cheers,
    Sandra

22. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Bill. We'll manage to catch up one day!
    Suzanne, yep, heading your way. Time for a coffee? :smile:

Martin and Sandra, email heading your way. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  23. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PDF File attached on workshops for 2010 and 2011

I should've added this to the first post, but can't edit that one anymore.

Attached is a PDF file with the details of the photography workshops for
    Australia in 2010
    USA and Europe in 2010

24. janezek

janezek Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nicole, I am deeply impressed by your work and even if I do not know you I know you can teach photographers how to take great emotional portraits. You have a big advantage over most male photographers, because you can be emotional at the same time as you can operate with camera and light. Most men are not capable of this, we take photographs too much technically. We complicate and often forget the essence of photography: the feelings. And you are perfect teacher for this difficult area. It’s easy to learn techniques, everyone can do it. But feelings, that’s another story. They are hard to learn and thus even harder to teach. So please accept all my compliments!

Janez Pelko
    www.janez-pelko.com

25. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Texas? Would you consider visiting Texas? Houston has an incredibly active photo scene. We would love to see you here!

26. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about Chicago?