Source for 5 litre glass bottles? OR would I be better off with plastic?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by streetshot, Nov 14, 2010.

1. streetshot

streetshot Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've combed these forums looking for posts without luck. I'm trying to locate a source of supply for 5 litre glass bottles to store C-41 chemistry and it appears this size is simply not available.

That said, perhaps I would be better served by some kind of plastic container though I resist this option because of oxidation issues.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Best,

Michael

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you might try a Container Store, that is where i got some gallong size glass jugs, plastic may be easier to fine. In fact I may have one at the lab, but won't be going in until next week some time as we are between sessions.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2.5 litre plastic or glass would be far better than a 5 litre bottle. I don't remember ever seeing 5 litre or 1 gallon glass bottle, although demijohns were once used for bulk chemistry and are still used for home wine making.

Ian

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    ian, too bad your so far away or i would send along some 1 gallon bottles. We always used glass until it became harder to find due to regulations about glass containers in labs.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ann. You know I'd struggle to use US Gallon bottles as it's a non standard measure :D

I have a car boot (trunk) full - over 30 - of Demijohns (Imperial gallon) if anyone needs some and some brand new 2.5 litre brown bottles.

Fuji sold chemistry in demijohns in the late 1950's and early 60's.

Ian

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's wrong with using a pair of 2.5-litre bottles instead of a single 5-litre bottle?

7. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A five litre glass bottle full with chemicals ... imagine slipping the grip on that beauty. :tongue:

8. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How many do you need? I'm pretty sure a have a few galon size brown glass bottles in my basement. PM me, and I'll let you know for sure.

9. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's probably not a normal size. And if it were, it would be quite heavy.

Best I've found is old wine bottles -- restaurants throw out dozens every day and are usually quite happy to have your help in recycling. I like the 1.5 and 1.0 liter sizes for chem storage. To close them I like the VacuVin vacuum stoppers. Hard to image doing any better for darkroom chem storage.

10. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Head to your local college and ask the chemical safety officer. I've gotten two beautiful 5L brown glass bottles that way which held something they used pretty regularly. Just make sure you get the lids too.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're right Bruce, I've been involved in photography for over 40 years and also run a laboratory and in all that time I've never seen any 5 litre glass bottle, the old UK size was a Winchester close to 2.5 litres.

I have seen and in fact own larger glass containers but aside from wine demijohns they are always in a cage of some description. Ilford supplied chemistry in large returnable glass containers as well as Winchesters until some time in the 1960's when they switched to plastic.

Ian

12. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Common boxed wine comes in 5L cubitainers. They make very good containers for storing chemistry too, if you don't have to be able to put the chemistry back in the container after using it.

13. streetshot

streetshot Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    All good suggestions here. By way of further background, I've been using 1.2 gallon glass jugs for 20+ years in my darkroom...I use them for everything - developers, fixers, you name it. Now comes a set of C-41 chemistry from Trebla all of which mixes to 5 litres...all of them. I think the best option is to find a plastic alternative and run with that.

And thanks for all your help!!!

Michael

14. tbeaman

tbeaman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pickles (et cetera) come in gallon jars. Would those work?

15. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Trebla kit too.

I don't mix up the whole thing at once, simply mix and replenish as I go.

16. pcyco

pcyco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hallo

i use the 5 liter conteainers where demineralised water is sold at supermarkets.
    perfect for xtol. only mix it up inside and ready.
    when it tends to 1 liter i use a 1 liter bottle for the storage.

i realy think that sometimes we want to be better than the best

analog greetings

thomas

17. Murray Kelly

Murray Kelly Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nobody has mentioned the wine cask bladders. They come in 2 - 4 - 5 - 20 litre sizes and the air is easily expelled with them on their back so's no oxygen is there to spoil your fun!

Keeps for ages (like years). The plastic is mylar I believe and the opacity stops light getting into the act. Keep them in the cupboard anyway.

As a desperate act one could even ditch the wine. Aaarggghhh!

In our house they are available very often. Since they weigh next to nothing the postage would be minimal.

Murray

18. Grif

Grif Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mix in a large SS stock pot, and store in 1 liter bottles. But then I one shot, or single session everything except fix.