Source for Film Holder Tape

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Deckled Edge, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can anyone direct me to a source for tape to repair several film holders?
    For anyone who has done this, does the tape come with adhesive, and if not, which adhesive will keep the tape in place?

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calumet sells it, although the last time I checked, they were out of stock. Some people use gaffer's tape, some use bookbinding tape.
    juan

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have sucessfully used 3M black photographic tape (similar to masking tape) on 4x5 Graphic type 5 film holders. The 3/4" tape width is just slightly wider than needed. It certainly works for a quick repair. I don't know how it holds up in the long run. I keep my film holders in air conditioned space. If they were stored in the trunk of my car the tape might fail.

5. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I once used duct tape to repair one and it worked fine.. It sure looks ugly but it seems to work so there.....

6. bmac

bmac Member

I did all of my 8x10 holders with black Gaffers tape. Haven't had any problems with lightleaks, just bad compositions...

7. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a tip I learned about using tape from the aircraft industry. This was explained at great length to all new workers, some of whom were new to aircraft and the rather technical nature of some procedures and F.A.A. regulations. I've found it to be very helpful in other areas of endeavor as well. "Sticky side down!"