Source for inexpensive frames?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by darinwc, May 18, 2010.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgive me if this is the wrong location to ask this..

I am looking to mount some 11x14 prints.

16x20 frames with 11x14 mats seem just right.

The price for 16x20 frames seems to bottom out at 30$

Can anyone recommend a source for 16x20 frames at about half this cost.. say 15$ each?

Thanks!

2. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sometimes craft stores like Michael's or AC Moore--- not sure what you have in California, have sales.. About 6 months ago, I got 15 11X14 frames for a total of $35.00. A word of warning though...they were extremely cheap...glossy plastic frames... but the glass was real. I had to drill holes in the back of each one to attach wire for hanging.

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Light Impressions have 16x20 frames of very good quality for just under $30 (plus glass and mats) they offer quantity discounts and sometimes have specials. I have used them for many years and have been pleased. If you intention is to sell the prints, build that into the price. If they are for personal use, you would not have any problem to display your work.

4. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you live near an Aaron Brothers store, they usually put out a 40% off one item coupon every week on their website. When you buy an item, they also have a 40% off coupon on the receipt that's good for a couple days, so you could keep going back every day until you get the amount you need. Michael's also does the 40% off coupon on their website, but not on the receipt.

5. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent! I know we used to get coupons in the paper. I didnt think to check the websites. (duh)
    There's an Aaron Brother and a Micheal's right around the corner from my work.

That would really make the price just right and I will still be getting quality frames.

THANK YOU THANK YOU

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. epig

epig Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aarons also does their "Buy one frame get a second frame for a Penny" sales twice a year so it pays to look for these and stock up.

Too bad the sale isn't this month; I just spent $60 on three 16x20 'Signature' frames, but they are pretty nice black lacquered wood with glass. I couldn't wait for the sale as I am submitting 3 pieces this weekend to the Pasadena Society of Artists membership drive. The photo "Alien" in the gallery section is one of the pics I'm submitting. Wish me luck!

Eric

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get a profile cut very cheaply at a good joinery/cabinet makers, or some picture framers can do this aas well.

I have my profile cut and the bare frame made then buy the glass direct from the glass suppliers and the backs from a joinery, this way I get exactly what I want at a very low cost.

Ian

9. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    framefit.com

Quality aluminum frame kits. I've ordered from them several times. Each frame part is wrapped in brown paper before shipping so they arrive scratch free and clean. Every once a while, I order a bunch of frame kits in common sizes so I can frame most anything I want anytime.

For glass, you could either get some cheap frames from a local discount/closeout retailer and discard the inferior frames, or get a local glass place to cut you a stack. Either source, you'll need to clean the glass well before you use it.

10. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    regarding kits: I'm finding that I have less time to do DIY stuff anymore. With a kit I would still have to spend time putting it together, sourcing glass, and cutting or installing mats.

For larger items the kits are probably the way to go.

15$-20$ for a decent 16x20 frame with glass and mat seems like a good value to me.

The people at Aaron Brothers were very friendly and helpful. +1

11. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ikea has cheap frames.....

12. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked them out online.. I only found nice small frames or large 'poster' frames. The poster frames are cheaply made and have no matting.
    Perhaps I missed something though.

13. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a batch of frames from American Frame. I've used their products for years and have been very happy with both the products and the service they provide.

16x20 aluminum sectional frames, with standard plexiglass glazing, are $17.34 plus shipping. I provide my own matt and mount boards.

14. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i have never looked on line, but the store in Brooklyn NY (and I would think all of there stores) have a large selection of frames

15. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the update. I will check them out soon. But I will have to set a full day aside. Every time I go to Ikea it seems to suck up the whole day.

16. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I use American Frame also for the standard Neilsen sectional aluminum frame. They do offer a free custom cut window mat with each frame.

For glass, you can order a box of Tru Vue premium clear from your glass store/framing store. The glass is clean and doesn't require washing. Also is cheap, about $60 for 23 sheets of 16x20, if I remember correctly.

Jon

17. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  18. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out: http://www.aswexpress.com/Default.aspx the Ambiance Gallery Deep Wood Frames

They do not come with mats (I cut my own), but if you are looking for pre-cut mats, those are available from a lot of places separately. ASW has sales constantly that you can be notified about by email. I buy in their Box of 4
    package that is less expensive in the first place, and is discounted even more during sales. I've had to buy up to 20 frames at a time for shows, so I've been very very careful about prices. These are not heirloom frames you might want for your own living room (though I have them in mine), but they're fine for gallery exhibits, and as basic framing for sales. The glazing is very thin plexi, and very vulnerable to scratches, but with careful handling, you can save a great deal with these materials and still mount a fine looking photograph.

19. JCJackson

JCJackson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are near an IKEA, they have some simple black or white wood frames, including pre-cut mat and glass, at very low prices.

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The IKEAs here have simple inexpensive frames, but the mats aren't necessarily useful.

The larger mats are cut to fit either 8.5"x11" photos, or a larger size which is either digitally oriented, or a European size, or something else I don't recognize. They are either too wide or too long to use with 11"x14" photos.

21. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "I've had to buy up to 20 frames at a time for shows, so I've been very very careful about prices."

I wish i had that problem.

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have good luck at frame shops sometimes, when they are having a blowout on simple black frames.

Otherwise, somewhat cheap frames can be found at crafts stores. They are crap, of course, but they will hold a picture just fine.

23. fdi

fdi Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
    My company sells metal frame kits for under $30 depending on the qty discount that include, assembled metal frame, mat with opening cut, white foamcore backing board, and hanging kit with wire and wall bumpers.

Cheers,
    Mark