source for polyproplyene glycol

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by herb, Jun 19, 2008.

1. herb

herb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would like to get a source of not too pricey glycol to mix my pyrocat A in.

About half a gallon would do for quite a while, mixing the A in glycol and B in water.

Can't seem to find a source other than some silly price for 100cc.

Help would be greatly appreciated

2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've gotten mine from Artcraft

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Antifreeze?

5. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The title says "polypropylene glycol" -- just to make sure, that's NOT what you want. There is a substance called polypropylene glycol but it's not of much use for mixing darkroom chemicals.

8. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are Diary Cattle. Cows writing in books every day? I found a tree where someone had carved "moo". Guess this explains it.

10. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought a small amount of propylene glycol (not the same but related) from PF. I needed something that would flatten film (some rare films have no backcoatings and curl like corkscrews). Propylene glycol was the ingredient in Kodak's print flattener.

In the process of looking for this stuff, I called a heating/cooling company and indeed, he could have sold me some if I had wanted enough for him to bother with opening a 55 gallon drum. It was used in a certain kind of cold humidifier to keep the moisture content of the air at a 70% level. I didn't need enough, so I got it from Montana.

Mixing up a batch of the stuff with photo flow added did work. Worked very well. The solution does not keep however. Apparently, it is a sort of urschleim; weird stuff grows in it, and I suspect that after enough time, lizards will be crawling out of it.

I don't know if PPG is sold by heating/cooling contractors, but it might be worth a shot.

11. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, it's $19 a gallon; I'll venture that NONE of that goes toward spell checking the website...

12. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably right. In fact, my guess is that the cows wrote it.

13. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is propylene glycol and polypropylene glycol, which are related but not the same chemical. One is an antifreeze and the other is a surfactant. Make sure you know which you want and which you are using as they have different properties.

PE

15. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get my propylene glycol from a refrigeration equipment company.

16. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. herb

herb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    proplyene glycol

Is this a great site, or what!

many thanks to all who replied.

18. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know, Tractor Supply is also a great place to by syringes of all sizes; some quite large, intended for treating livestock.

That is where I buy my mixers for Pyrocat HD...

19. gainer

gainer Subscriber

www.chemistrystore.com has it at reasonable price as well as a number of other chemicals of use in the darkroom. As jotdan says, you do not want polypropylene glycol. Propylene glycol is 1,2 propanediol, which is what you want. In emergency, if you don't mind the higher viscosity, you can use glycerol from the drugstore. This is 1,2,3 propanetriol.

20. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm another one who's used The Chemistry Store -- in fact, I just got a 10-pound pail of potassium carbonate from them. There is one caveat about them, though: They don't tell you your shipping costs up front (you've got to give them your credit card number first), and they charge a $3.50 flat handling fee per order. For instance, my aforementioned 10-pound pail of potassium carbonate cost $14.63, but shipping was $12.19 and with the $3.50 handling fee it totalled $30.32. That's still fairly cheap; the chemical alone, without shipping, would have been $33.00 from Art Craft -- but OTOH, if I'd bought from Art Craft, I would only have bought 1 pound or perhaps 5 pounds, so I'd probably have spent less. (TCS only sells potassium carbonate in 10- and 24-pound pails.) As it is, I now have a lifetime supply of potassium carbonate sitting in my darkroom.

Overall, it's a pity that TCS doesn't have a slightly wider selection. I often buy elsewhere just because I need two items, but TCS doesn't have one of them and I can't justify the $3.50 handling fee for just one.

21. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I find it dificult to locate pure propylene glycol in feed stores except during very cold weather. Sometimes what is stocked is an uknown dilution.
    A more reliable, easily accessed source for most people is an RV supply store. Get drinking water system anti-freeze.. It likely will have something added for color, but I have experienced no problems with it. Cost usually runs about $16 per quart. When I buy a gallon at local chemical supplier it runs about $60.