Source for Rodinal?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Ben Marks, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ben Marks

Ben Marks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are folks doing these days to find Rodinal? Are we strictly in "Make Your Own" land?

Ben Marks

2. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buying Adonal which is the same formula from places like Freestyle Photographic.

3. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's the Freestyle link for Adonal film developer...

Ken

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or you can watch eBay and over pay for the original stuff! Kidding aside, after Agfa shut down the original Rodinal that would pop up was going for serious coin. Then it settled back some when stuff like RO9 came out but now seems to be going up again. Go figure.

5. Ben Marks

Ben Marks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny. I just got off the phone with Freestyle and, oddly, their Adolux and Fomadon versions of this developer are out of stock. Compard 09 seems to be in stock though, so we will see how it goes. I did a search on APUG and came up with some Patrick Gainer recipes; a little something to keep in the back pocket if things get tight. - Ben

6. Ben Marks

Ben Marks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Edit: Rich - great stuff on your website! I lived in the Bay Area in the 1990's and was never able to really capture my sense of the light there.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ben.

I owe it all to Rodinal, I mean Adonal, I mean R09, or whatever...... :smile:

9. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    or Blazinol here up north.

10. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's the going rate for the real deal? I've got a few 500ml plastic bottles of Rodinal and a few 17.5m 35mm rolls of APX25 I had set aside for a special day. That day still hasn't come yet. I've since moved up and moved on to larger formats... at least for now. I wouldn't mind passing it along if the price was tempting and I could ship it without problems within the US.

11. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the Church of Rodinal it's not just the sacrament but the chalice, too, that counts.

s-as long as it's grainy-a

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's hit and miss. No completed listings for the "real stuff" on ebay right now. I've seen it sell for as high as $40 for a 500ml bottle or as little as $15-20. My most success buying it has come from when it's part of a "clear the darkroom package of junk" that gets posted but the Rodinal is not listed but can be seen in the box or the photos. Got a real old glass bottle of the stuff that I think is from the 60's. Worked perfectly! The auction went for $5 plus $5 shipping and I got a bunch clips, reels, bulk load cassettes, spotting brushes and inks, etc.

13. Ben Marks

Ben Marks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. You know I saw that thread after doing a quick search on APUG, but I got lost in the technical minutia of the discussion that followed. I am going to have a look at Ancell, when I get home tonight as well as a couple of other sources. I have also copied down one of Patrick Gainer's excellent suggestions. I am planning some stand-development experiments with 35mm and 120 film. 500 ml of this stuff will go a long way mixed 1:100.

14. RobFanguy

RobFanguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to FedEx, my 500mL bottle of Compard 09 from Freestyle will be here in three days. Can't wait to try it out. I've used D-76 in the past, and I have a bottle of Ilfosol 3 Im planning on using day after tomorrow. I'm really waiting to see the difference.

15. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, that's getting up there. I still have 8 out of the 10 500ml bottles I got from Freestyle back in early 06. It was $11.99 back then, Adonal, which they are out of is only $2 more, so not too bad all in all. Maybe I will buy another 10 and be good for the rest of my career, LOL!