source for white plexiglass?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by stradibarrius, Oct 14, 2009.

1. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I made my light box all I could find was clear plexiglass so I covered the underside with tracing paper. It works fairly well but would like to get a pice of white.

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any place that can order plastic sheet can get it. In my case, the home improvement, paint and glass stores carry it or can get it. There's always http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp if there isn't a local source.

3. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think it was Plexiglass (acrylic), but the home centers years back carried a plain translucent white panel as part of an assortment of diffusers for fluorescent ceiling fixtures. I haven't noticed it lately but haven't been looking. The sheets were about 24 x 48 inches as I recall -- not real thick, maybe .093 or 0.1 inches. I still have a partial sheet I used to use to backlight and shoot taped circuit board layouts with a 4x5 to get negatives (ah the good ol' days!)

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any signshop will have or can get either acrylic or polycarb/Lexan. There are two different types available, (from memory, may be off..) 35% transmission and 65%.

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    several years ago I bought a very large sheet of translucent plastic at a local glass shop. I have used it for other purposes over the years, and recently built a lightbox into my darkroom counter using a section of it.

6. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got mine from a DIY/hardware-shop.
    Several bigger of these shops carry sheets of acrylic/plexi in several variations over here.

7. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you ask for "sign white" acrylic sheet you will get what you want. It comes in different degrees of transparency. Rohm & Haas also had available several grades. The idea of using a fluorescent light diffuser is probably the cheapest.

8. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I didn't think about a sign shop! thanks

9. MortenDK

MortenDK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Signshop is also my first thought, but the fabric they use to make spinnakers for sailboats is also excellent. White, diffuse semi translucent, lightweight, strong and rel. cheap.

10. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A local glass shop will have it too.

11. Rob R

Rob R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I needed a sheet of white plexi I tried the sign shop route with no luck. However you may find that there are one or more plastics manufacturers in your area. I found one in town that sold plexiglass in full sheets as well as smaller cuts in a variety of colors.