Sources for KCN for wet plate

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Jim Chinn, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read on Quinn's collodion forum that Chemsavers will be discontinuing the sale of KCN when current stocks run out. I am going to try to place an order later today.

From what I can find on the web, Chemsavers was the only source for small qty purchases of KCN. Anyone know of any other sources or should I plan on doing wet plate without KCN when my stock runs out?

Yes I know you can use various hypos/rapid fixers, but KCN does produce brighter highlights.

I am also aware that "platers" grade KCN can be used and we have a plater in town but they are not willing to sell any to an individual.

Any other sources you know about?

2. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just broke down and ordered a few pounds from Chemsavers. I had been looking to find some cheaper platers grade KCN, but finding it in any reasonable quantity is very difficult. After trying, hypo, rapid fix, and KCN--I agree KCN is superior for tins and ambros. I used TF-5 last night at 2X the normal film concentration; it worked ok, but as you say, the highlights are brighter with KCN.

3. AshenLight

AshenLight Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chemsavers is where I got my last batch. Looks like I better order more...

Ash