sources for LF film?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Discoman, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Discoman

Discoman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Trying to figure out which companies still sell LF film, especially cheap film.
    I heard a rumor that some Polaroid production was done in China, is there any chance that that is true, and if so, is there any chance of seeing an instant film come out of China?
    I usually use Wilford or adox film, and Google just gave me a bunch of places that had either moved their website or were out of business.
    So who still makes LF film? Who still makes color film? Who still makes slide film?
    Thanks.

2. choppastyle

choppastyle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cheapest b/w LF film I've seen is freestyle with Fomapan rebranded as Arista Edu Ultra.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&W: Several companies. Foma, Ilford, Kodak and Fuji all make large format film, as does Efke.
    Colour negative: Kodak and Fuji.
    Colour positive (transparency): Fuji, and as of a few days ago, only in one film type - Velvia 100.

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    If cheap is the concern, research shooting x-ray film here and on the LF Forum. We are talking pennies on the dollar. 7x17 Ilford is about $9 a sheet. I gather $0.70 to .75 in X-ray. Haven’t tried it myself but lots have and have written about it.

John Powers

5. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen no evidence that suggests Velvia 50 and 100F is no longer available in 4x5 (or 8x10) in the US. All the sources that said it was discontinued a few days ago were UK sources. Until I see a source that says this is true for Fujifilm USA I don't believe it.

6. LJH

LJH Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Look for expired film stocks on eBay.

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&h

8. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  9. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I usually get mine from Badger Graphic (Ilford,) CSX Online (x-ray) and Freestyle (for everything else) B and H also stocks the stuff of dreams. Fotoman has (or had?) Surplus Kodak aerial film. I don't know who is selling Shanghai or Lucky these days.

10. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film

For my dollar I think you can't beat Freestyle's Arista EDU ultra is comes in a variety of formats and a good selection of speeds in 4x5. They also carry efke, ilford and kodak. Their customer service cannot be beat by anyone.
    X-ray film is cheap but bear in mind it is usually a double sided emulsion, unless you get mammo film, and it is blue/green sensitive(orthochromatic) and is all quite slow. The double sided emulsion will eat up your chemistry faster. The single emulsion is better for speed and contrast but is usually only available in metric sizes. I use single emulsion mammo film either kodak min-r or fuji ADM for making enlarged negatives.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

My emphasis. Global means around the world (USA too...), even if the BJofP gives it a distinctly UK-only feel, which it is not.

Ask your pro-level dealer to show you the Dealer Retail Bulletin which usually carries announcements like this. That usually comes through about 2 weeks after an announcement.

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not so about only one type of E6. Even assuming the discontinuation of Velvia 50 and 100F is global (not necessarily implied by blaming the cuts on falling global _demand_) Provia 100 remains. It's a lovely film and I prefer it most of the time to the exaggerated contrast and saturation of the Velvias. (I like Astia and E100G even better but those ARE discontinued though there seem to be remaining stocks of Astia easily found.)

For black and white where price is important I echo the recommendation of Freestyle rebranded Arista aka Foma. Pretty nice film but horrible reciprocity failure for long exposures. Ilford, Efke and Kodak are readily available.