South Dakota

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Dan Henderson, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am planning a trip to South Dakota from Michigan. My main objective will be to find and photograph abandoned vehicles and buildings along the way. I have identified a few spots that I want to visit, but I am looking for advice on rich areas for these subjects, including small towns along the way that are dying that slow, freeway-induced death.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Dan

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi dan

there has been ( or was ? ) a very large project run by the state historic preservation office that involved documenting abandoned homesteads
    along the highways. they might offer some insights where you might be
    able to find them.

good luck !
    john

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Probably lots of abandoned cars near and around the south side of Chicago. Grin. Have fun.

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Give yourself the time to drive down random gravel roads. The good stuff is on the more minor roads, typically; stuff along the more major highways tends to attract more vandalism.

While I can think of a few things near highways here in Saskatchewan (on the other side of western North Dakota from South Dakota), the good stuff tends to be off the beaten track, but it's not that hard to find if you have some patience.

5. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am a sales rep and daily travel the state. I know most of it pretty well. There are abandoned vehicles everywhere, there is no challenge to find them. Every farm will have them. I do know where there is a cache of 1920s vehicles sitting in a grove but am reluctant to post its position. As for towns, they too are everywhere. Some that quickly come to mind are Hetland, Butler, Cottonwood, St. Onge, White Rock. Manchester is a somewhat interesting spot because there used to be a town there, now there are only steps and driveways. Tornado wiped out entire town. Same with Spencer, although they partially rebuilt. Most landowners will allow access, but I do make a point to at least find the owner to ask, especially if there are cattle out. Finding the owner is not always easy as there are many places there aren't any occupied houses for several miles.

Kent in SD

Back Porch
    [​IMG]

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks for the ideas, guys. Much appreciated. More welcome!
    Dan