South Florida - and going North....

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by tequilabong, Jan 24, 2010.

1. tequilabong

tequilabong Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Puggers....

I am flying to Miami on Wednesday to pick up a car and drive it back to Central Missouri.

My first inclination for the return trip was to drive through the glades on the trail, then head north through tampa, etc. and keep hugging the coast till Mobile Alabama....Then start heading north west through Mississippi, etc....

My other thought is driving straight north up the east coast of Florida, then through Athens GA, and up through the smoky mts. to Knoxville.

Anyone have experience with either routes and what will provide more interesting "stuff" to photograph? I tend to go for the quirky...I enjoy doing old roadside attractions, junk, but I also appreciate the scenic vistas....

I will be driving the back roads, mostly state highways, etc.....No interstates thus I'm not interested in the fastest route, most direct, etc.

If it matters, I'll be shooting MF....BW.

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try rt 441, see Wikipedia on rt 441 I've driven along much of its length ( from Lake City FL to Knoxville Tn), and it has alot of character.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The other choice is US 27 which starts in downtown Miami (Hialeah) and heads north through Knoxville and continues up to Lexington, KY where you can change to US 60 West or go up to Cincinnati and head west from there. Or head up US 1 along the coast until you get to US 60 in Virginia (either Hampton or Richmond) and head west.

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need a road trip with the 4x5. Hope you have a ball no matter which way you decide to roll.

5. tequilabong

tequilabong Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you traveled 25/27? Anything interesting to see?

As to the 441, that is pretty much what I'm thinking at this point...

Traveling up to around Daytona on A1A, then heading west, hitting 441 up to Athens and then the smokes....

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Dixie Highway is also an interesting road. It was the first major road from the midwest (Indianapolis) to Miami (and privately built). US 27 was the major route before I-75, so I would expect old tourist trap stuff. I know there are these types on US 1 and US 60 as I have traveled these.

7. bdilgard

bdilgard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you decide to take Tamiami Trail (US41) you have to make a stop at Clyde Butcher's Big Cypress Gallery. I took it from the Miami area to Sarasota a few years ago. There are a lot of interesting things to see but I don't recall if there were many good places to stop. Once you get to the West coast you grind your way through the downtown of every coastal town but I still found it an enjoyable drive. It was also extra congested because a bridge was out on I-75 at the time and people had to find other detours.

8. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Watch the troopers...and watch the speed traps in the small towns along the way. Have a ball.

9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rt 15 up to Georgia would be interesting as it goes thru alot of farm country and quaint towns like Palatka. A1A and Rt 1 along the coast would be very slow and lined with non-descript malls.

10. WolfTales

WolfTales Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would not recommend i95 on the east coast for scenery. Pretty dull.

I drove Aligator Ally once and although quiete empty - was interesting in it's vastness.

The Glades are nice for sure. The bay is also nice. Although the Atlantic has a vast blueness that can't be beat. So it's a toss up. Maybe zizag your way through lol. Although Florida is quiete huge so not really practical.

11. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even though I live on the west coast of Florida I would reccommend going up A1A to St Augustine, lots of nice stuff there.
    You could stay on A1A and cross the river near Jacksonville by a little ferry boat and continue on to Fernadina Beach and in to GA.
    If you are a little adventurous there are lots of little islands along the GA coast with some wonderful photo spots.
    Then while you are in that neck of the woods you should continue north to Savannah, a wonderful place to snap away.

Then Missouri is somewhere over to the left.