Soviet Photo

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by sbelyaev, Dec 11, 2006.

1. sbelyaev

sbelyaev Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently discovered this website.
    http://sov-photo.livejournal.com/
    These photos were published in "soviet photo" magazine years ago.
    You may find it interesting to look at those pictures.

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great photos. Wish I could read Russian.

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try http://www.online-translator.com for machine translation. It's usually enough to give you the gist of a site, and it translated most of the titles of the photos on the Soviet Photo Daily site.

4. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting look at another way of life. Reminds me of Look and Life magazines in the US. As a kid I used to read my grandparents magazines and wonder about life in those distant places.

Curt

5. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with Curt. Really gives the feel for the 40s and 50s Life magazine photography. Some really cool images.

6. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool.

In college, our science library had a Soviet science journal printed in English. It was almost like a more technical version of National Geographic and covered all sorts of fields. I was fascinated by the photography. I can remember clearly photos inside Chernobyl containment vessel after the accident, with stalactites of melted down uranium fuel hanging from a ceiling (why didn't the film fog?), fishing boats stranded a mile inland from the shrunken Caspian Sea shoreline and an article on a steel plant.

There's also a photo essay book in my library (printed in the U.S.) by a Soviet soldier of his time in Afghanistan during their war. The 35mm film quality was not great, but the shots are fantastic and fascinating.

7. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    WOW

I just saw this and when I clcked on the link the first photograph was mine from 25 yars ago , I was only 16 when I took this and lived in Russian

8. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thank you for the link...........I have the original magazine. I have wierd feeling with my stomack in the knot looking at this image , it took me right back to this street , lots of water has gone under a bridge since...

ILYAASKINAZI.com - check me out

9. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilya/sbelyaev

Is the publication you're referring to the one that was distributed in the US as "Soviet Life"?

If so, I know a bookstore, deep in the woods near Copake, New York that has a bunch of these for sale. I always figured they gotten them from an "old Leftist" US subscriber who ultimately gave or sold them to the bookstore.

I know I remember seeing the occassional copy back in the 1960's and '70's at college and grad school.

While I've sometimes been tempted to buy some because of the great photos - I haven't done so. The last thing I need is to start cluttering the house with even more magazines! Besides, the store is a "cozy place" that will let you sit there for hours reading whatever they have laying around - so why bother to buy? :wink:

Anyway, if you are near New York and are interested in checking out this "collection" I can guide you to the bookstore.

10. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanx George, I live in Maine , but do have family in the city ( NY)
    It just floored me when I saw my forgotten work and made me think how life has evolved since ... I have the original magazine that my couple of prints were published in... Thanks again...

11. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What makes this photograph even more precious that the negative has parished in a house fire some 15 years ago.:sad: