Speaking of Lenswork...

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by bjorke, Jul 16, 2006.

1. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...I've noticed that the Lenswork web forums are long-gone -- will they ever appear under the wing of some other site, do you suppose?

2. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Probably not. Many of the posts were hopelessly erudite and therefore boring. Forums that talk about hardware and technique, let you post pictures and avoid artsy-fartsy questions are the most successful.

3. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So your definition of "successful" means "lots of traffic"?

Last time I looked, Lenswork wasn't a magazine about hardware OR technique.

I think maybe we should petition Sean to fill APUG with more celebrity news, then. I'm sure that the site would be far more successful if people here had a good source about sightings of you-know-who's in the food court at the mall on Sunset (Ellen Degeneres eating a corned beef, wow!) and a good space in which to argue over whether Lindsay Lohan is thin enough or too thin or whether she would look cute carrying a little dog.

Instead of all that boring stuff about 4x5s and Ro-dee-nal. I mean, look at the sales of that stuff. No one wants that. A celphone camera is way better and stylish (so many colors these days) which is why it's more popular and that means better

4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    You're trolling ....

5. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If trolling is sarcasm, then my aunt Lucy is Brad Pitt

6. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Your Aunt Lucy is Brad Pitt?

That is sooooooo awesome!

:D - for the sarcasm impaired...

7. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I miss the erudite part. Posts that took more than 10 seconds to read; and actual thought before writing a reply. Well, mostly :cool:

8. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

bjorke,
    sorry, I should have made my attempt at humor more obviously so.

Lenswork is a gem, the quality of the image being the driving force. Very little on hardware, until Brooks started printing digitally and felt compelled to tell us which computer with how much ram and which printer he used.

This success in a wasteland of camera magazines doesn't travel well to forums - where people who don't want to talk about cameras and techniques obviously don't have the writing skills that Brooks or Joe Lipka do. What you get are people who are doing bad imitations of A.D. Coleman, or trying to write a one page doctoral thesis, or agonizing over what to call a glicee print to make it sound more impressive. I suggested "inkjet".

Take care,
    Tom