Speed Graphic back shutter - is it okay to use? :)

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by eumenius, Oct 26, 2005.

1. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello friends,

by I really wild chance I got an Anniversary Speed Graphic in my hands! A well-beaten but nicely working specimen with Ektar 127/4.7, and 10 wooden 9*12cm film holders. I want to use a back shutter with some barrel lenses, so I want your opinion about it - would it work and a relative long (1/25, say) speeds without not turning my tripod? :smile: It gives a massive shake to camera when released, indeed, but it apparently comes when the film is exposed. Is it a play of my imagination, or I can try and use it with no blur problems due to camera shake? Looks like no one ever used the back shutter in my camera, so it works just fine.

Cheers,
    Zhenya

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    zhenya --

nice camera!
    i have a pacemaker speed graphic, and while my fp shutter doesn't go down as slow as yours ( mine goes only to 1/30th S ) i have not had any problems with camera shake ... on my rb series d, on the other hand, it has a mirror that "clunks" and if i forget to release the mirror first, i always shake when taking slow speed pictures ...

good luck!

john

3. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    John, thank you for warm words - you're not alone with your powerful mamiya RB, this shake was the reason I never use it again :smile: I shoot mostly with my faithful C330f, and its mirror knows its place for sure :smile:

I'll try to shoot something with my FP shutter tomorrow - a couple of sheets are not too sorry to waste, especially if it's Fomapan 100 :smile:

Good luck too,
    Zhenya

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have one for a 5X7 and it just about trips a light tripod over when it clunks. I pulled the trailer hitch out of the back of my truck for some extra weight and got several sharp exposures. Absolutely, use it.

5. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a Pacemaker Speed. The shutter goes bang! when it stops, and since its closed then the shock of stopping it has no effect on the exposure. I have other problems with my pictures, but motion blur isn't often among them.

6. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zhenya, by all means try the focal plane shutter.
    I had some misgivings about it at first, but realized (as Dan said above) that it "bangs" when it stops - i.e. after the exposure is already made.
    Anyway, try a test shot: mount it on a good tripod, use a cable release (it screws into the body release "button"), and give it a shot!

Regards,

Denis

7. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This camera (the Anny) may not have the body-release. I know that my baby speed (pre-Anny) doesn't.

Matt

8. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have something like 14 assorted Speed Graphics ranging in size from 2X3 to 5X7. I love each and every one of them. If your shutter seems nice and snappy, it is probably very close to being accurate. Untold thousands of fine pictures have been made with this shutter. Don't be afraid to use it. If your tripod seems a bit unsteady, place your hand on top of the camera and press straight down when you trip the shutter. Please let us know how it goes and have fun!

9. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The FP shutter on my Anniversary Speed Graphic works quite well when the weather is right, even though it seems like the thing will shake itsel;f to death with each exposure. I have problems, but they are really very seldom the shutter's fault. This was shot with the FP shutter last summer. TriX. No shake that I could see.

Attached Files:

10. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use it, by all means.

Before you shoot anything real, howver, you'd do well to vaccuum the inside carefully, especially around the shutter. Run the shutter and vaccuum again. Repeat.

11. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I tried my shutter at 1/10, and guess what? At least with 127mm Ektar lens everything is sharp, without a single trace of shake blur! :smile: I was right, and you, too - the curtain clunks when it's stopped, but the frame is closed by the time so no blur can occur :smile: I am going to adapt many barrel lenses to my Speed, because my dear friend Mario can make to me as much good metal lensboards as I wish :smile:

Cheers, and thank you for your replies! I'll post my pictures soon!

Zhenya

12. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A "rb" is a rotating back Graphics SLR camera, not a mamiya. I have a 3x4 rb and LOVE it. makes me feel like Weston. Of course, I have a way to go to get to Westonhood.

tim in san jose

13. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB67, anyone?

14. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Anny and Pre-Anny both have a spot where you can screw in a cable release to trip the rear shutter. The release screws in from below into a little hole below the opposite end of the shutter lever from the trigger end. The body release on the Pacemaker was completely different, if memory serves.

15. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use mine all the time. Vacuum out your camera, spray the rear shutter curtain with a light coat of silicone spray (per Ed Romney's advice) to both lubricate the curtain and help 'trap' the dust.. There are roller bearings that you should lube too but if it works it works.

My pictures seldom have shake (the time I used a 15" tele optar is an exception)
    and actually, I prefer the rear shutter. You can mount anything as long as you can get it onto a board.

As for lensboards, i use opaque plastic sheets that are salvaged from whatever I can find. Computer bezels, signs, plastic cases, etc.

I have a rotary grinder (think big dremel) and I grind the top and bottom edges like this;

/---------------\ <- one bevel

Then I just plain grind out a hole in the middle. Loosening up the screws on the lensboard retainer (sliding things top and bottom) help grip the board.
    I've about 8 lenses mounted this way and it works great for me. YMMV.

16. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I do as well. In the cold months, it never freezes and gets sluggish.