speed variation between glossy and matte? (Ilford multigrade FB)

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Perry Way, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Sep 29, 2008
    San Luis Obi
    Multi Format
    Is it just my imagination or is there really some kind of a difference of speed between Ilford MG IV FB Matt and Glossy?

I started with a contact print of a 4x5 negative.
    From that understood what I needed to dodge/burn and roughly what my exposure should be with larger paper, first 8x10 then 11x14. The contact print and the 8x10's were initially RC paper. I noted their times, and fstops. Each time I increase I know roughly to increase one stop, two, one and a half, whatever. First time is guesswork but usually it pays off. I went up to 11x14 in Fiber Matt. I find that the RC paper is a little faster than the Fiber Matt paper. Not much but somewhat, like perhaps a quarter stop. I exposed and developed the 11x14, and sure enough it is right in there, so I make another with a slight variation to have one for bleach/split toning and one just for selenium archival toning. Then, my long awaited 16x20 easel comes to me by FedEx and I went to make my first print last night.

I did the same math I have done before for the first exposure. It came out about a stop or a stop and a half lighter than what I calculated it should. The difference here is I cannot find 16x20 in Matt my preferred paper, only in Glossy. So what I'm saying is the Glossy is possibly slower than the Matt in Ilford Multigrade FB paper.

What I want to know is has anyone else noticed this?