Spiratone enlarging computer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Rick A, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Going through one of my boxes I came across an ancient Spiratone enlarging computer, but no instructions. If anybody knows how they operate and could pass that info on to me would be greatly appreciated. This is obviously an early model 200 with all dials, as all the info I can find is on the model 200 from 1979, and no instructions..

2. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got one of those things and the instructions, too... someplace. I'll keep looking and hope to be of some assistance.

Paul

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Far out--thanks. Hope you find them,I would love to try this thing out. I bought a Jobo cpe-2 some time ago, and this was in one of the boxes I brought back with it.

4. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found it. Big PDF on the way to you.

Paul

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And a great big THANK YOU to you.

6. Njord

Njord Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello! Any chance you still have that PDF??

7. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite a bit of a stretch calling these things computers. A handful of components in a Wheatstone bridge circuit. Anyway, Ilford and probably others still make them. Never found them to be that handy. My main gripe is that they prevent you from selecting the lens aperture so you cannot use the optimal one for your lens.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=115

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016 at 11:35 PM
  8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, no. The computer I used to have fried, lost all my stored data. BUT, I did print it out and have the hard copy. I'll scan it later and send it to you. For the price of postage, I would send you both the computer and instructions.

9. Njord

Njord Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, that would be amazing! I know it's entirely not necessary, but I'm sort of going all vintage in my darkroom! I'm new to the forum- how do I send you my info more of less securely?

10. silveror0

silveror0 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gerald, FWIW I downloaded Ilford's pdf instructions for this device; they''re a bit more detailed than the link you posted above. After a brief read, it seems that the calibration procedure involves determining the best exposure with the aperture set near the mid-point of the aperture range (likely close to the aperture of best performance). So when changing the aperture to get the green LED to light up, you'd know the combo of exposure time & aperture for a first cut at a straight print; and it shouldn't be too far off of the optimum aperture. Seems like you could then tweak that exposure time for use with the optimum aperture.

The issue I would have with this device is that the instructions seem to be based on determining the shadow density of the projected b/w negative (the "brightest" part of the image on the easel). My printing workflow involves first finding the exposure for the print highlights and then developing for the shadows - the opposite of the film procedure. On another forum I voiced my workflow, and it was confirmed by Dr. Richard Ross as the best approach and he stated that his RH Designs system was designed around my approach.

11. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "how do I send you my info more of less securely?"

Just click on the name of the member that you wish to commune with, click on "start a conversation" and it's a private message that you can be sending.

12. Njord

Njord Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you momus!!

13. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Ilford meter. As I said I personally do not find it useful. Fortunately they are not expensive.

14. Njord

Njord Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They look a bit gadgety, but I'm a sucker for vintage gadgets! The Spiratone seems to fit the bill! Thanks for the advice though... I'll set my expectations accordingly low!