Split Dark Slides For 4x10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mikewhi, Nov 7, 2004.

1. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A while back there was a discussion on 4x10 backs\holders vs split 8x10 holders. Here is a link to a cheap way to shoot 4x10 with an 8x10:

http://www.benderphoto.com/4x10pa.htm

Should be a simple matter to make a mask for the gg.

Just a thought.

-Mike

2. mark

mark Member

I would never remember which side of the film I had already exposed.

3. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i had a spare 8x10 dark slide lying around so i just took my dremel too lto it and cut out a 4x10 piece out..

I also carry a small roud stickers in my camera bag so when i expose one side of the negative i put a sticker there on the film holder to remind me that that half is exposed.

4. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Me? Well, I had to go the expensive route and spend $95 each on 5 new 4x10 holders. Plus a 4x10 back for my Canham 8x10. I guess I like spending money.

-Mike

5. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When loading the film holders... Why not cut 2 pieces of masking tape and put them on either side of the face of the holer? When you expose a portion on that neg, put a checkmark on that side to indicate shot film. Just a thought...

joe

6. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a fair amount of 4x10 with my 8x10 camera and really enjoy the format. My camera has the grooves in the back for "splitter" boards. I do not have the original splitter boards, but have cut my own from flat sheet metal and painted them black. With the splitter I have no need for a ground glass mask or a split darkslide. I keep track of which half of the sheet has been exposed in a notebook that I carry. So far I've only screwed it up once.

With the grooves & different sized splitters I can shoot 8x10, 4x10, 8x8, & 5x8 all with one back & 3 small pieces of sheet metal. They're really quite handy & extremely cheap.

7. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry to dissapoint but Bender does not supply these anymore. I think Fidelity cornered the market and was charging outrageous amounts for single dark slides, so Bender decided not to make them anymore, at least this is what they told me about a year ago, who knows, things might have changed.