Split field filters in the DR?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ajuk, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it possible to use filters on an enlarged inparticlular a Split field filter?

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You mean like using an ND grad in reverse? Sure, why not?

3. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, Im not talking about graduated filters I am talking about split field filters. like the 111, 112 and 113 filters, so I can throw parts of the image that are infocus out of focus.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That might not work as well, but there's certainly no reason not to try it. If you use diffusion or a split-field diopter to defocus under the enlarging lens, the shadows bleed into the highlights. If you only use the filter for part of the exposure, you might be able to get what you're after without creating too unnatural an effect.

5. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thing is you see this
    [​IMG]

I scanned the print and as I was editing it for online viewing, (had to ajust levels so the scan looked the way the print did in the first place) I also burned his face in a bit.

I decided that after the man looking at the camera, the focus does not drop off sharply enough, so I had the rest of it blured, I made the asumption that I could do that effect in a DR with a graduated split field filter. I want to one day print this in a DR so if it turns out I was wong I may just go change it back.