Split second decision left me with a Durst ac800 elite enlarger, seeking info

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sean, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I barely had time to research this enlarger. It looked so impressive and the auction was closing in 20 minutes I placed a low bid figuring I would never make reserve but it did! and I won it for $335US dollars! It looks to be worth far more than that and comes with 2 lenses. All of it is apparently in good condition. I've attached a screenshot of it, and will be driving out to pick up this bad boy on the weekend. Any insider info on this enlarger would be appreciated. It comes with a manual and is probably tricky to configure but with apug on my side I'm sure I can handle it. I am assuming it might have a built in color analyzer? Will I have any issues printing on VC paper? Also, I think it is autofocus? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This looks like the closed loop (builtin densitometry), auto focus, med. Format durst. I sold one on ebay for 1,600 last year, but never used it. The specs on it looked impressive, but the two AC L1200 seemed to be preferred by those who did use them. (AC may be cool in a production environment but for personal use, I don't know) The one I sold cost a whopping 16k new with 3 lens boards, 5 neg holders, and 3 lenses (it may have also had two mixing chambers)

Some of the features (as I remember)
    Reciprocity compensation on long exposures
    exposure compensation for lamp output
    Exposure memory
    auto filter pack settings
    auto density
    Pre sets for common sizes
    auto focus
    Speaks both german and italian (no english)
    35mm - 6x9 (which reminds me ours may have been an ac 960 elite)

I can tell you this the booklet sitting on the enlarger is not the * real Manual* , but the crap that is more promotional then instructive. The real manual may be tough to find and is required to utilize all the goodies if not the enlarger as a whole. It may also need a target neg to set the auto focus.

It has been out of production for at least 3-4 years. Beyond that i cant help you.

3. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We at apug have a special forum for ebay abusers. It has a defined 12 step wedge enhancement. Optics are rose colored. Timing is dependent upon number of abuses. Exit from forum strickly controlled by spouses. Picture taking encouraged, so long as no internet connection is involved.

4. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info! Well, I'll have this enlarger and my lpl c7700
    I suppose I'll try out both and see how I go, then sell one. I just found a guy I know in Wellington has one and has spoken highly of it. He also offered to copy the manual for me which is cool.

5. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is even worse, it's a New Zealand based auction site. I am powerless against it!

6. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hehe! I saw the topic and...

LOL!

mind you I was kicking myself the other day for missing a set of M645 ext rings that went for just over $100AUD cause I didn't wack a bid in straight away and then forgot about that auction!

7. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Comming Soon...Sean's Camera Shack, everything you want about analog photography under one roof.....BTW, better star buying stock in this auction site Sean, I get the feeling you are keeping them on business all by yourself...:smile:

8. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You need to find a less expensive use for the internet Sean, like a no limit poker site.

9. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hehe, well, I've been behaving lately with the auction site, meaning I usually only buy after I sell something of equal value first. If I like this enlarger a lot, then I'll sell my lpl c7700 to offset the costs. I am considering blocking those auction sites on my firewall though!

10. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Have you tried the 7700? I have the 6700 which I like and I think yours is an upgraded model.

11. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ouch... My step wedge has 21 steps, and my favorite optics is warm-yellow from internal radioactivity. My timing is consistently off. Entry to APUG is strictly spouse- and work-controlled. I don't have a camera with me to work, but I usually have an internet connection... Am I getting too involved?

Congratulations with your new enlarger, Sean! Take a look at www.durst.it - if you've bought the AF version, it's supported until 2008. Just ask them for a manual!

12. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Need the manual?

Nice one Sean. Good price.

(hopefully) I currently own the same model. MrCallow covered everything pretty well, nothing much to add. Especially correct about the 'autofocus' - it's really more focus tracking with the rise and fall of the head. It will probably require configuring. It's quite straight forward, with a grain scope.
    It does have a built in colour analyser. If you'd like a copy of the more extensive manual, I can lend you mine.

http://www.durst-online.com/uk/service.asp > Prod. Service shows this model is currently supported until 2008 :smile:

....Just noticed Ole's post....

13. jlehmus

jlehmus Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I bought one of these too.

14. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ended up selling mine a while back, just could not figure out how to work it..

15. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one as well and really enjoy it although it is not the auto focusing model. Parts are not to difficult to find for the carriers but you defintiely need the instructions if you are going to get the most mileage out of it.

Regards
    Gord

16. jlehmus

jlehmus Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just got my AC800 configured for Fomapan 400 and MGIV some weeks ago and learned to push the right buttons in the dark. Well, usually you just need to push a single button to expose an agreeable print, it's almost too easy. This enlarger is a real gem of ergonomic design!

Also, figured out how to produce contact sheets and the machine works like a charm and actually makes the formerly so burdensome task of pulling contact sheets an enjoyable one. I had a backlog of more than hundred rolls of 35mm and I've now almost cleared that in a few nights.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  17. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

>>>if you've bought the AF version<<<

AF enlarger? I didn't know there was such a thing. Sheesh... with all my trouble focusing, that sounds like what I need!

I have a Durst M605. I don't think parts are made for mine anymore, but I've had no trouble really. I do have the name & number of a man who works on Dursts and knows everything about them, if you ever need it.

Have fun!

Janet

18. davidjfthomas

davidjfthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm