Sportera's photos

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by John Bartley, Jun 24, 2006.

1. John Bartley

John Bartley Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm very moved by the photos posted by Sportera. When I think that what the photos show is the destruction of a lifestyle, the elimination of the tangible link with the past and when the cleanup is finished all that will be left is the memories and the tangible link will be gone, then I have to admire Sportera's persistence in recording this even though it must be very painfull. I wish these photos had never been necessary, but I'm glad that we are able to see them and I hope that Sportera continues making them.

I know this has been said before, but the more of these photos I see, the more I am moved and the more I am impressed by the spirit of the people who just pick up and keep going ...

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amen to that!! Sam's photos are just incredible, infused with so much insight, tenderness and caring. I eagerly await a book of his photos of this project.
    Thank you very much Sam for sharing this experience with us.

gene

3. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree...Sam is doing a wonderful thing in his work.

4. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's a rare thing when a significant moment in history comes, and there is someone there with the skills and the clarity of artistic vision to document it in such a personal way. Sam's Katrina work will only gain in importance with time, because nature will eventually grow over and erase what it destroyed, yet his images will remain. We're priveliged to witness his work unfold.

Murray

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been lucky enough to meet Sam and can say he is one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met.

And then when you hear his story, how his house was flooded by water and crude oil, and how the gov't is telling him to piss off, you can barely contain yourself.

6. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sportera

Hey you like his work so much why don't you support him? Just a random thought guys.....
    Best to everyone, Peter

7. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. If I were a rich man, I'd buy a bunch of Sam's prints. But, I'm not, so I can't. But, Sam certainly has my moral support and admiration.

8. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Me too. I choose to have a not so good paying job because it doesn't suck out my soul and allows me time with our daughter, and my wife is a stay at home Mom...I can barely buy materials for my own photography. Please don't insinuate that I don't care because I don't purchase.

Murray

9. Shmoo

Shmoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sam/Sportera's work shines. You can actually feel his emotions through his images. This is some of the best work I've seen. I hope he continues his work with the same intensity and emotion.

10. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually, I've been working on writing a statement about his work that I will finish in a day or so.

In the meantime, if anyone has connections to a book publisher, we need to get them in touch with Sam.

11. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lenswork seems like a natural for Sam's work. Although, it's preaching to the choir... I think it'd be great to see it published in a more mainstream publication, and yes, eventually a book.

12. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just came accross this thread, I am a bit over whelmed by the comments here and a bit choked up. I thank each of you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. In a time like this, when we have so little, its people that make the difference. Its very hard letting go, especially when something is ripped from you, a entire community. Its even harder watching others get rich on the sufferings of others.

Thank you all.

13. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When Katrina happened we in the UK saw the images that news editors felt illustrated the story that they wanted to show, and I have to say that I'm rather cynical of most of what the media choose to give us. However, I recently did a workshop in Denver Darkroom amd met a young photographer who was also a victim of Katrina and who has done similar work to Sam's although he chose to make more general images. Through Efrain's images and our conversations I got to understand a little more of how it must feel to be the victim of such a catastrophe. Then I look in the gallery today and see Sam's extremely personal images of his own nightmare that are, at the same time, some of the most beautiful images I have ever seen. Thank you Sam for sharing your pain and giving us all a vivid insight into the real meaning of personal disaster.

14. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't add much to what has already been said. Sam has taken his personal story and that of others and shared it with us through this medium that we all love so much. The work does represent tragedy however as Les stated so eloquently, these are beautiful photographs.

Thank you Sam.

Regards,
    Bill

15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i agree, sam's photographs are frightening and beautiful.
    i hope to buy his book when it is published :smile:

john

16. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My "favorite" is the FEMA staff car....

17. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sam, I also agree with all of the above. Your work should be published and I also hope to see your book on the shelves one day.
    Kindest regards,
    Nicole

18. Sportera

Sportera Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank you one and all. Your word of encouragement keep me working.
    Some of you have hinted about the healing process, and how photography may be my healing process. Your right. Photography has helped me a great deal. The first few months I was too depressed to photograph but once I picked up the camera again I felt better, like I was doing something.

Thank you everyone, I am truly humbled by your comments.

19. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the mean time, you all have a featured member project. Might I make a nomination?

Me... No wait. Sportera's work is certainly deserving of the recognition as well as having attained the maturity to reperesent us as "Featured Member".

tim in san jose

20. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're wrong. Its not "like" doing something. It IS doing something! And a pretty powerful something, judging from how I feel - and you can see I am not alone! I get to see these images, care about the events, spread the word and develop a much more educated view of the events. And I am thousands of miles away. Sure, I saw more than enough flodded this or that on CNN and other news outlets, and I could only assume how horrible it was down there, on the ground...
    But your images are different. They are alive, they are personal yet universal. They make me really shake my head and feel that "tonne of bricks" feeling that hits you when you see someone's house, someones life - just like yours, or mine - but broken, taken away...
    Perhaps I am desensitized to images of tragedy always coming into my living room through the tv screen. Perhaps. Perhaps the reporting is not up to the standards that it should be. Well, most likely. But all I know is that with TV and most (not all) print media, I had to imagine how it felt to go through this.
    And while I would never presume to know what this was and still is like - here in my cozy little dry living room - when I see your images, I feel.
    Like some above, I don't think I could afford prints at prices that would not be insulting to work of this calibre - but a book? Definitely!
    I think it would also be a wonderful vehicle for charity actions for this cause.

Great, powerful work. Then again, this is nothing new - just see my numerous comments below your gallery photos!

Peter.

21. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Tim's nomination of Sam as Featured Member.

gene