Spotmatic F with Industar-61 (???????? ) 52mm f/2.8 - is it possible?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mendewesz, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am user of Canon 600D normally and my only experience with analog is Konica Minolta Maxxum 70 which is easy to use and pretty similiar to newest dslrs. My friend gave my old Spotmatic F camera without any lenses, but I've got old FED-4 with Industar-61 (???????? ) 52mm f/2.8. I bought adapter (m39-m42) and mounted it to my camera. However, when this lens is mounted the focus ring isn't moving, it stays on infinity and won't move unless i unscrew it. The only thing working is aperture. Are these two things uncompatible or I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you for any answers.

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You cannot use a FED lens on a Spotmatic except for perhapss extreme closeups.. The distance from the mount to the focal plane is too far for the FED lens to focus correctly.

3. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, I didn't knew that. Well it looks like I'm going to do some macro shots haha.

One more question: is there a problem with compatibility with any of the M42 lenses? I'd like to buy one next week but now I'm afraid I will encounter same problem.

Thank you very much for your answer.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any M42 lens will work but try and get an SMC Takumar with the coupling for the full aperture metering of the Spotmatic F (also ESII). I use Tmaron Adaptal 2 lenses with mine as well and have a couple of Tamron F/ES M42 adaptors as well as K mount for my later Pentax cameras - so that's another option.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  5. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm sorry for spamming this thread with stupid questions but after I insterted film the viewfinder turned black, I can shoot photos (I guess) but I don't even see what I am doing. What I am doing wrong?

6. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the mirror is stuck in the "up" position. Take off the lens and see if that's the case.

Jim B.

7. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    that was it, thank you very much!

8. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    But how to fix it? Now I have to put it down manually every time I want to take a photo. Damn. It feels kinda like it doesn't have enough power to fall down.

9. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Time for a CLA.

10. Hatchetman

Hatchetman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To get this thing working properly, you will need to get it serviced: This guy is great. It will cost about $70.
    http://pentaxs.com/

you can get a Takumar SMC 55mm f2 for about $35 on ebay if you look around.

It's a great camera, well worth it if you think you might use it.

11. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are some M42 lenses which won't mount properly on a Spotmatic F: as it is designed to allow full-aperture metering with the proper lenses, some lenses will catch on the aperture cam and won't screw in completely.
    In my experience these are often German lenses (IIRC, some Zeiss Jena and Meyer samples).
    It's likely that some M42 lenses of other brands designed for full-aperture metering might not work either (Fujica, Mamiya?).

12. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    UnfortunAtely I don't live in USA and 70$ is way above my budget for this camera. I guess I'll return it and try to find working one...

Bummer.

13. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These cameras are old, and it's not unlikely that the next Spotmatic you buy, also is in need of some attention. Sometimes it's just replacement of seals and mirror bumper, but often they need a good CLA. I can recommend http://pentaxs.com/.

Trond

14. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Alright, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Turns out camera is perfectly fine, the problem was the m39-m42 adapter which was screwed too strong and was blocking the mirror from falling down. I loosen it up little bit and it works perfectly now.

Thank you guys for all your help, much appreciated!

Nice buy for 20 dollars huh.

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used a few CZJ lenses with my Spotmatic F with no issues and I never heard of one either.

Ian

16. Terry Christian

Terry Christian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely look on eBay or in your local camera shop, if you have one, for M42 lenses. I've been able to find used ones rather inexpensively, since they were somewhat of an SLR lens mount for a couple of decades and they were made by many different makers. And as Ian said, the Takumar SMC (Super Multi Coated) lenses are especially nice.

Before last year, we had a large antique mall in town that had a couple of booths filled with cameras, most of them junk, and a few lenses. I had mixed luck with the cameras I scavenged there, but it was easy to identify the M42 lenses because they're screw mount, instead of bayonets that all look the same to the untrained eye. In our local camera shop, I've been able to get M42s rather cheap because it's the Nikon, Canon FD, and Pentax K-mount lenses that fetch the higher prices.

17. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC (haven't had a Spotmatic F for a few years now), the CZJ 25mm and the Meyer 100mm wouldn't screw in properly.
    I think also another lens or two also had problems (CZJ 200 2.8? Pentacon 200 electric?)

The same problems applied to the ES and ESII cameras.

No problem at all with a classic Spotmatic body,

18. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Meyer 50/1.8 that will screw in and work fine on my Spotmatic F, but won't unscrew. To get it off I need to set the lens to f16, push in the DOF preview button on the lens and point the camera straight down so the aperture actuator pin will slide further into the lens body to allow it to be unscrewed.

19. Mendewesz

Mendewesz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm searching for lenses that I could use with the spotmatic F and my canon 600d with adapter, both to have good results.

So the only lenses that are fully compatible are the SMC Taruman? Does anyone know how are they with never cameras?

And i can't use any Pentacon or Carl Zeiss? Or if I can, only with stop down metering?

20. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fully compatible with your Spotmatic F in the sense of allowing full-aperture metering (as opposed to stop-down), then the appropriate *Takumar* lenses designed for that are needed.

*Most* other M42 lenses (including CZJ and Pentacon) will work in stop-down mode on your Spotmatic F, though, as previously mentioned, there are a few which won't mount properly - you need to try them (or better, ask) on a case by case basis.

AFAIK, there should be no problem using any M42 lens with a Canon EF adapter.

21. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you like the idea of using a Industar lens on an M42 camera you might consider the 50/2.8 Industar 61 L/Z. I bought one on eBay from someone in Pskov, Russia. It took two tries at getting my my payment delivered and many months for the lens to arrive. It focuses down to about 1:3 and is a very decent performer. Years ago I had problems fitting S-M-C-T and SMC Takumars on a Mamiya 500DTL. The tab from the lenses would get stuck on the heads of the screws used to attach the mount to the body. My solution was to find Super Takumars and pre-S-M-C-T/SMC Vivitar lenses. I am now collecting Mamiya SX eqipment. Other M42 lenses will fit the SX bodies but will not lock into place with the click of the SX lenses. My SX collection includes an MSX500, a DSX 500, a 35/2.8, a 50/2, a 55/1.8, a 135/2.8 and a 200/3.5. I think I'll stop when I get a 28/2.8 and maybe a DSX1000.

22. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Appears the M42 mount isn't as universal as we were led to believe :whistling: