Spots on Adox CHS/Efke 50

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jpa, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jpa

jpa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK. It's happened again. Every once in awhile, I've developed Adox/Efke 50 (or any Efke film, actually) and gotten spots on a few negatives (usually on the sky). This time, I got spots on what appears to be all (or nearly all) of them. I developed them in Pyrocat HD (which I've done successfully in the past). Also in the past, I've used Rodinal. Before someone tells me that the temperature needs to be precise - EVERY temp (even fix) was spot on at 20 C. I did not not use distilled water (but have used it in the past, and it made no difference - sometimes I got the spots, sometimes I didn't).

So, even though I highly doubt that there's anything that can be done to get rid of the spots, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to at least minimize them?

I've been slowly getting tired of getting burned by Efke's film, and I'm finished with them. Yes, I know that they are themselves finished, but I'm going to get rid of the remainder of my Efke film instead of taking a chance on having my shots ruined again.

2. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It comes with the package, I'm afraid. Sometimes you get the finest negatives ever and next time half of your frames are ruined by spots. I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it. If someone has a good and working method I'm all ears. I still have some Efke 50 in the fridge.

3. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sadly, that was Efke. Put your unwanted film on Ebay, there's lots of people who like it, warts and all. (Time might come when we wish Efke was still with us....I yearn to be able to use one last roll of Orwocolor, weird color casts and all. :sad: )

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a load of 25 and 100 the day I saw the announcement of their demise. I've shot 3-4 of each and they are nice films but I too am getting these spots sometimes. Looks like I should put them on eBay and retire.

5. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Someone suggested once that the "spots" are particles left over from cutting the film. Ever since I have swiped the film with my fingers or a brush before I load it (4x5) and it has helped greatly to eliminate the spots. This obviously won't help you if you use 120 or 35mm.

6. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What do the spots look like, are they pinholes? Somewhere I read that weaker stop bath prevents pinholes on Efke and I've always used a 1;150 dilution since.

7. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have shot Adox CHS25 for years and never had this issue.. I use only a water stop bath, if that matters.

8. jpa

jpa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They're not pinholes - more like "splotches", if that makes any sense. And I always use a water stop bath, as well.

9. J Rollinger

J Rollinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Adox and Efke are coated on the same machine.. Correct? I guess i must have been lucky. I use to shoot Efke until i noticed missing emulsion on 4x5 sheets and losing half of my first frame on 120. I starting shooting Adox after this not realizing that its the same film just sold under two different names.. I know this does not make sense but i have never had any issues shooting Adox 25.. I hope my luck doesn't run out because i have a freezer pack with Chs 25.. I should be put on that hoarder show because of that. I only use Rodinal 1+25 with a water stop bath with Chs 25..

10. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, funny, I've had artifacts on Efke but not Adox... strange

11. jpa

jpa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From what I understand, Adox film is (was) made by Efke, but supposedly Adox had better Quality Control (Don't know how that could be the case, but I believe that I read that somewhere). Once again, I may be incorrect, so don't take it as gospel truth.

12. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. Water stop bath for me too. On 120 film.

13. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had a similar effect some years ago with foma 120 film. I got tiny areas of blank film which are very hard to spot in the print.
    The spots came from tiny paper fuzzies form the backing paper. I put my remaining films on ebay. Beside this, I always clear my camera from such spos every time I change the film. At the trip provisonal with the fingers. There are always some tiny paper pieces in the camera, even using Ilford film.

14. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Reading this thread is painful. I read it with the spectre of the demise of the Eastman Kodak glory days. This kind of thing was unheard of; it just didn't happen. I don't think there was ever any company in the history of free enterprise that held production standards even in the same league as Kodak. Makes me sick to see them on the rocks like they are. Just a crying shame.